Home Non Cigar Related

Cold prevention.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Non Cigar Related
What do you do to prevent colds and stuff?
Over the years, winter would hit and I'd get colds or flu and be down for days.
The last 2 years when the cold weather starts, I've started taking Turmeric and it's been keeping the colds to a minimum.
When I get colds, I take Osha root throat syrup. Nasty tasting stuff, but it works. LOL!
And then there is hot toddy/tottie (depending on the part of the country you are in) as an all else fails medicine.

So what are your "natural" medicines.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Airborne.  Wife has been very sick all week, usually I get it as bad or worse. This time, just a mild cold
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I take 90 mg of zinc every day. I also eat yogurt daily. Been flu free so far this season. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "shock and awe"

Shotgun a half gallon of high dollar orange juice, the more natural the better, as fast as you can and still keep it down. Then sleep for as long as your body will allow. I haven't taken a sick day for a communicable sickness in 6 years.
  • LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Great Remedy for a Sore Throat

Get some Slippery Elm from an herb shop, boil it strain WELL and drink. Tastes kinda like oatmeal but will coat your throat and make you feel better
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since colds and flu are communicable i stay away from others. Sometimes it's weeks before I see anyone other than my better half. Nice to live out in the woods.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Airborne.  Wife has been very sick all week, usually I get it as bad or worse. This time, just a mild cold

We've been through this a couple times.  Wife won't take airborne (or do anything else I suggest) so she gets sick as a dog.  I take it at the first sign, don't get sick.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, wife was super sick last week. I took the Airborne and while I am home sick today, it is not near as severe as she was.  Only reason I am staying home is to not pass it on to co workers and I have LOTS of sick leave built up.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually when I first feel like a cold is setting in I gargle with very warm salted water. Works great. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sambucca (elderberry concentrate syrup) is anti-viral, as is lemon balm leaf.
    Also, a tincture called "Virattack immune support". Both available from iHerb.com
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8oz glass of orange juice every morning
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    emergen- C I get the Walgreens brand that is individual packets. Dump in 4 to 6 oz of water in a bottle and shake. Chug it and walk away. The packets have b12 also which give you a nice energy boost. I usually keep them in my work truck. Good source of quick energy instead of a red bull. I just picked up 2 boxes the other day because I had been out and I got sick. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since colds and flu are communicable i stay away from others. Sometimes it's weeks before I see anyone other than my better half. Nice to live out in the woods.
    I am within arms reach of over 100 people every day, and that is just the poker room. I cherish my quiet time in the shed alone with a cigar and a beer. 
    I just said to my wife yesterday that I would like to sell everything, and go to Nicaragua and work on a tobacco farm. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take 3k mg Vitamin C every day, if I feel a little bit sick, I will take additional 1K hour for 8 hours, that and walking outside at least 3 times a week, if you sweat when you come inside shower and change. Also a good cigar to open the nasal passages (at least that is my excuse, but I really can tell a difference in how easy I ca n breath after a cigar).
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!