Home Pipes

Carved my own

LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
Before

After

LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!  

webmost said:
    Outstanding.
    Thank You! :)
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great how long did it take?

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is it? 

Ok, couldn't resist.
    Nice work.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great! Fantastic first pipe. Going to carve another one? One constructive criticism I have is the transition between the shank and bowl, your pipe's is a bit heavy in my opinion. Now you need to buy a buffing machine, buffing wheels, White Diamond prepolish and carnauba wax,  >:)
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that looks great
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody just smoke those as-is? It might not fit in your pocket but, no pipe stand required. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd really have to clench tight on an uncarved block, though.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucker is heavy before any cuts are made. Probably 4 to 5 ounces. It's completely acceptable to leave the bottom flat though. I've got a block too that I'm going that direction with. 
    NorCalR1 said:
    Looks great how long did it take?
    I bought the block on January 22nd, but didn't work on it everyday.
    LoneSmoker

edited February 2018
    Great! Fantastic first pipe. Going to carve another one? One constructive criticism I have is the transition between the shank and bowl, your pipe's is a bit heavy in my opinion. Now you need to buy a buffing machine, buffing wheels, White Diamond prepolish and carnauba wax,  >:)
    The buffing wheels I had for the dremel did very little except put little white fibers all over my pipe. I have carnuba, tripoli and white diamond. the staining/polishing part seemed to present the biggest challenge. I used Fieblings black, then Saddle Brown dye for the stain then set it on fire then tripoli. White Diamond and Carnuba for the polish, but I need better buffing/polishing equipment. Overall though I am satisfied for my first time outta the gate. Here's a pic of it after I stained it black then re-sanded it before staining Saddle brown and sanding and polishing the stem.

LoneSmoker

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we say in English class, "Ya dun good!"
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two plateau blocks with stems up for bid on eBay now. They would be great for someone who wants to carve their own freehand style pipe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Italian-Briar-build-your-own-pipes-or-use-as-bookends-as-I-did/253779026865?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    If they aren't pre drilled, it takes more specialized tools than I have. I've been whittling away at the same block for two years in no particular hurry to finish. I don't even know what shape I want
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are pre-drilled and ready to carve

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • BlueB3BlueB3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Vermont Freehand is the go-to place for briar, and pipe making supplies/kits.  I've made a couple pipes, and have another pre-drilled kit ready to start when the spirit hits me.
    I like the way the blue penetrated the grain and is visible from the sides.
  • BlueB3BlueB3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It was very blue! I put a light coat of the blue on right after the 220 grit sanding phase, so it just left a hint of the blue in the grain on the pipe after I was done sanding.  The briar is almost white without that stain.