Home Cigar 101

Ordering Starter kit. What else do I need?

Shane92Shane92 Posts: 2
edited February 2018 in Cigar 101
Hello all,

I have been picking up about one or two cigars a month for the past couple of months. I decided to start looking online for cigars. I ran across the Start kit here at Cigars.com that comes with the 10 cigars and humidor. I realize that the humidor will not be the best, but I think it will be good for me for a while until I get more experienced and I want my cigar selection to expand. I was reading I need some humidification packs, but I'm a little confused. I also have some additional questions.

What humidification packs should I use and at what humidity?I was going to use the Bolveda 69, but they are sold out now. 

Also, I guess I need a good hygrometer and cutter. Any good recommendations for a decent price?

I would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks!

Shane
Post edited by Shane92 on

Comments

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Shane @Cigar-20072941 You've come to the right place. Lots of great people on here with tons of info on the questions you have. I suggest you use the search function to take a look and see all of the info that has been posted on the questions you have. We have all asked them :)

BTW I also started out with that starter kit and still use the humidor to this day :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hygrometer - Zederkoff square digital
    Cutter - xikar
    Humi-packs - Boveda 65%

Those are my preferences.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bovedas are a foolproof way to control humidity.  You'll want to season your new humidor for two weeks (no peeking) before putting your cigars in there. You can store your cigars in ziplock bag(s) with a Boveda while this is happening.

The Seasoning Bovedas are a good way, others put in a cup or bowl with distilled water in the humidor, but the main point is to let the wood soak up the humidity for two full weeks before opening the humidor again.  Once this is done, test with a digital hygrometer and then put in your cigars and put in your normal Bovedas.65% is good.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    People do freeze cigars to prevent tobacco beetles from hatching if the cigars will be stored where the temps go much above 70F.  You'd put your cigars in a Ziplock and stick them in the freezer for a week, take them out and put them in the fridge for a few days, then take them out and let them come up to room temp.

A forum search will give you much more detailed information and recommendations. 

You'll want to change your forum name in your profile if you want to stick around and be part of the fun here.  Then post on the Newbie welcoming thread and maybe see about getting a sponsor for your Newbie trade if you want to get in on games, trades, passes, etc.

• LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Hygrometer - Zederkoff square digital
    Cutter - xikar
    Humi-packs - Boveda 65%

Those are my preferences.
    All of what he said...Xicar Xi2 or Xi3
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
    Yakster said:
    People do freeze cigars to prevent tobacco beetles from hatching if the cigars will be stored where the temps go much above 70F.  You'd put your cigars in a Ziplock and stick them in the freezer for a week, take them out and put them in the fridge for a few days, then take them out and let them come up to room temp.
    While this is true and correct, it is risky especially for a new smoker. I'm not contradicting you just adding that caveat.
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Shane
    The starter Humi is great I still have mine but if you plan on hanging around the forum for a while invest in a cooler ( you will understand soon enough)...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

NorCalR1 said:
    Welcome to the forum Shane
    The starter Humi is great I still have mine but if you plan on hanging around the forum for a while invest in a cooler ( you will understand soon enough)...
    A big One
    LoneSmoker

• GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Go for the cooler. Trust me....
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My standard advice.  Get a bigger humidor/cooler and get a second job!
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started with that started kit also. Had to seal the lid, but after seasoning a couple years ago. Boveda packs are your friend along with a digital hygrometer.
    Stick around these guys know their stuff
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starter kits are ok but the humidors can be iffy. I’d recommend just ordering some samplers and keeping them in a ziplock bag with a Boveda pack. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    While this is true and correct, it is risky especially for a new smoker. I'm not contradicting you just adding that caveat.
    It won’t hurt them. Cigars are tougher than most people give them credit for. How many times have you taken them straight from the mailbox to the humi in sub zero temps?