Home General Discussion

CI acquires Thompson for 62 million

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-biz-cigars-international-deal-20180201-story.html

"The corporate owner of Bethlehem’s Cigar International has acquired a Tampa, Fla., cigar company.

Scandinavian Tobacco Group said in a news release Wednesday that it has signed an agreement to acquire Thompson and Co. for $62 million. The deal is expected to close by the end of March.

Niels Frederiksen, CEO of Scandinavian Tobacco, which is headquartered in Denmark, said the acquisition strengthens Scandinavian Tobacco Group’s position in the online retail channel in the U.S."

Wow

Comments

• LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    That means that their combined inventory will now be bigger than @Bigshizza has.

So is that alot?
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two crappy companies merging into one...awesome
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great. Now I will get 30 magazines a month instead of 15
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They gonna rename CI to something else, like Cigars Limited International & Thompson?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Hey! Thompson got me started with cigars. Before the Internet! That was when you called on the telephone to order or mailed a letter with a check!  It took longer sometimes,"but that's how it was and we LIKED it"!
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...WHO'AZ L:ill DoGGie....  Hate Yo AVI.  
    jw517 said:
    Hey! Thompson got me started with cigars. Before the Internet! That was when you called on the telephone to order or mailed a letter with a check!  It took longer sometimes,"but that's how it was and we LIKED it"!
    Filled out the form, sent the check or money order and waited. And waited.
    Then the box showed up in the mail. 
    You opened the box and it was glorious, cause you could get cigars you couldn't normally get from the newsstand. 
    Thompson had mail in cards in all the magazines. You mailed in the prepaid postage card and you started getting the catalogs.

Wow, we're freaking old. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo Op, have NEVER had a problem with Thompson.   Not my first choice.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    They gonna rename CI to something else, like Cigars Limited International & Thompson?

Dare I speculate...Thompson International? God help us I might just have to make a trip to Hamburg when they reband the cigars...err I mean remodel the store.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I'm old but,,"THATS HOW IT WAS AND WE LIKED IT"!
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    That means that their combined inventory will now be bigger than @Bigshizza has.

I want an official count. 

I read this a few days ago. Maybe Thompson will get better, I just won’t find out firsthand. 
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I thought @Bigshizza is Cigar International!!!!    LOL
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    Sleddog46 said:
    peter4jc said:

I thought @Bigshizza is Cigar International!!!!    LOL

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still pissed over CI jerking me over a $16 charge for cigars that unraveled so bad I couldn't smoke them.  Neither the rep or her supervisor would do anything.  That was over seven years ago and I never bought from them again.  CI and Thompson should be a good match.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I'm still pissed over CI jerking me over a $16 charge for cigars that unraveled so bad I couldn't smoke them.  Neither the rep or her supervisor would do anything.  That was over seven years ago and I never bought from them again.  CI and Thompson should be a good match.

I thought you liked Gurkhas!

Just kidding...;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, they were Oliva, that's why I was so mad.  I would have lived with it if they were Gurkhas.  ;-)