Home Cigar 101

How often should you season your desktop humidor?

My desktop, hygrometer reads a 63 humidity level and a 23 temperature. what am I doing wrong? Should I season again?
"Aficionado my ass...I just love to smoke cigars".  James Woods

Answers

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking 23 Celsius? If you mean Fahrenheit I'd suggest re-calibrating your hydrometer (unless you are storing it in a freezer, then just take it out of the freezer :-).

Lots of reasons why humidity is low and it's hard to diagnose without knowing more but assuming you have a proper seal (google the dollar bill test) it all comes down to a few mechanics. Seasoning your humidor, if it wasn't done properly might help (but not if you have a bad seal). Sometimes changing the means of humidification - A lot of us like boveda packs, others use kitty litter. Most of us distrust the little foam hockey puck things that come with most inexpensive humidors.

Say more about your set up and we might be able to better diagnosis.

By the way, I actual prefer a lower humidity -- mine is right around 66% and sometimes a bit lower.

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s it usually at? Is it usually higher and has dropped or has it always held around 63%
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was the hygrometer was off.  I have a couple of humidors and as long as I keep them relatively full and check them often, I don't think is necessary to re-season.

I've been using Boveda packs and re-charging them.  They work great.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    My first thought was the hygrometer was off.  I have a couple of humidors and as long as I keep them relatively full and check them often, I don't think is necessary to re-season.

I've been using Boveda packs and re-charging them.  They work great.

I find Boveda packs and the little round plastic things with the beads are a perfect combo.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people swear by doing it each winter and fall. I usually do mine every winter. It does help a lot. Makes the humidifiers function better.