Home Cigar 101

Hello from Kansas

Hi all, I'm needing some help. About 6 months ago, I became an avid cigar fan. I bought a fairly nice humidor with a hygrometer. I seasoned it after doing some research and couldn't ever get it to give me the humidity I wanted. After a while, I just gave up because it would mostly give me the percentage of humidity it is outside or in the house. I would really like to get back into it, but my humidor just keeps ruining cigars as its either too humid or not humid enough. I tried some Kikar humidity crystals but none of the crystals ever seem to be working. The jar has the same amount of crystals as when I first bought it months ago. It seems to have a tight seal, but I cannot figure out why its not controlling humidity. Any help would be awesome, as I really enjoy it, the humidor just ends up wasting some expensive cigars, so its hard to stay into it. Thanks all for the help!

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go ahead and get a cooler. 

You can try some some masking tape around the lid. Is the hydrometer a digital unit and calibrated?
  • Its an analog hygrometer calibrated. Would reseasoning it help, or maybe get a digital hygrometer because maybe the analog one isn't working?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that analog thing is crap.

I get how people like the looks of a wood humidor... but a tupperware or cooler w/ a digital hygrometer, and either some Bovedas or Kitty Litter is so much easier.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a cooler, no joke it’s the easiest way to keep them nice
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analogs don’t work worth crab. Get on eBay and get a digital one. You will want to calibrate it. Some can be adjusted. If the one you get can’t be just do the math depending on if it’s high or low. And you’re set. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is post 1,023,897 about setting up a humidor and humidity problems.