Home General Discussion

Oral cancer scare

Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been smoking cigars for about 30 years, but more the last 10 years averaging about 3-4 a week. Last week I felt a bump in my upper lip and could see and feel it as well. My first thought was Oral cancer from cigar smoking. I couldn't get into my dentist for an oral exam so I got into my primary care for a look. They said Hummm??? better refer you to oral surgery for a consult and biopsy. This was Thursday and I just got the biopsy done today, so I kind of was freaking out all weekend. Things look OK for now, still need final biopsy report in a few days. I had an Oral mucocele that was removed. Its basically a clogged slivery gland, but they are most common on the lower lip and mine was on my upper lip.

The risk of Oral Cancer for cigar smokers is low, but you never know.

So I would advise all the BOTL & SOTL to have an oral exam at the dentist every six months when we go in for a cleaning. If you feel a bump or see something odd, don't dismiss it; have it checked out. Our life and health are worth more than anything so take care of yourselves .

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it turned out OK for you. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit freaking out Dave, relax and smoke a cigar, cheers.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope the biopsy comes back negative.

And, thanks for bringing this up.  I think the health consequences of smoking cigars, even low, as you say, are kind of off-limits in our conversations both online and at lounges.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it looks good to go, hope it stays that way!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh sh*t, this is an eye opener. Good luck. Or whatever would sound better than good luck.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it appears everything is ok! 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear the texts came back negative bud. My great grandfather got oral cancer from smoking a pipe his whole life. Can be scary. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Scary stuff. I had a colonoscopy in 2013 and the gastro dr.that did it said I had two pollips but they looked ok so I shouldn't worry. A few days later he calls and tells me I've got colon cancer and I need to find a surgeon. Life.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they tell you to quit smoking and drinking and coffee and all things evil?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Did they tell you to quit smoking and drinking and coffee and all things evil?
    Nope, didn’t say a word. Just to have regular oral checkups. The occasional cigar, drink and coffee are essential to living life! 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad all is well.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Ha! Happy to have over 30 years of monogamy. 

• HogandocHogandoc Posts: 10
    I look at this a lot. I’m a dentist. I smoke cigars. 
    I only ever found oral cancer once in 20 years, and
    I regularly smoked cigars with him (my brother). He did not survive, lost him 3 years ago.
    Mucocele is as OP said, from biting a minor salivary gland in cheek or lip. Benign.  Location of a sore is real important. Risk is high if you drink hard liquor or smoke or both at the same time. 
    Long term sore on floor of mouth, or side of tongue far back are high risk, you look for bleeding. What’s in common, fluid pools in these 2 areas. Nicotine & Ethanol, and it causes genetic changes to the cells. So, what can we do? Rinse out. After Cigar, after booze. Rinse with peroxide. 
    Remove the carcinogens. It’s not fun, but consider the alternatives.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I had an oral exam they thought they found colon cancer. Turns out I was just full of... 

Nevermind.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon