Home Cigar 101

relighting a cigar

I read that you can relight your cigar, I've tryed and i've tryed, I always have a horrible experence.. and never relight.. I can see after a few minutes or a hour max.. after that it's horrible, always get a nasty nasty taste, I'm sure you all tasted it, after a relight, I even cut the cherry off and blow thru the cigar to remove any smoke, but it always ends up the same, throwing it away... so is the a trick I can use? or just toss it....

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    just toss it. You already know the way after a short bit, but anything more than an hour or 2 is not worth the effort.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have been able to relight a couple times. Its never quite the same but its not horrendous. I cut it off about a half inch behind the burn line and blow through it heavily after cutting it off.
  • FubarFubar Posts: 33
    madurofan:
    I have been able to relight a couple times. Its never quite the same but its not horrendous. I cut it off about a half inch behind the burn line and blow through it heavily after cutting it off.
    This is what I have done and have been told to do. Sometimes I even cut off the the other end a little as well.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    That bitter musty relight taste is something I am not very fond of. Even if I clip it, scrape out the black ash, Blow through it, It does not work for me. I have to start fresh. Plan your free time more carefully to allow you to enjoy the entire stick.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    That bitter musty relight taste is something I am not very fond of. Even if I clip it, scrape out the black ash, Blow through it, It does not work for me. I have to start fresh. Plan your free time more carefully to allow you to enjoy the entire stick.
    I'm with Kasper on this one...never had any luck relighting.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had some luck relighting, but any time I've had to relight the cigar has sat for no more than an hour. Like Kas mentioned, if I settle down to smoke a cigar I'm in it until the end, once in a while things come up, but they don't generally delay me for more than 20 minutes.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I had a Ghurka once that had a really hard spot in the roll, and it kept going out while I was trying to smoke it. So I clipped the cigar just passed the spot and relit the smoke...it tasted HORRIBLE...didn't understand it, but I immediatley threw it out and drank something to clean my pallette. That was the most disgusting taste I've ever had from a smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm done trying re-lights unless it simply goes out while smoking. If I'm interupted I toss it.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Krieg:
    I had a Ghurka once that had a really hard spot in the roll, and it kept going out while I was trying to smoke it. So I clipped the cigar just passed the spot and relit the smoke...it tasted HORRIBLE...didn't understand it, but I immediatley threw it out and drank something to clean my pallette. That was the most disgusting taste I've ever had from a smoke.
    I'm sure its still in my yard if anyone is interested in it! lol
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I relight all the time. I smoke when I can and if I only have 20 minutes, I don't want to waste a stick. Does it taste perfect later? Not really but it is very smokeable. What you'll need to do is pick it up and get rid of all the ashes you can without pushing them in. Get a torch lighter and flame the hell out of it. Once it is red hot, light the cigar like normal but you'll have to blow out a good 5 or 6 times and you'll see a blue flame shoot out. This is all the crap coming out of the cigar. Again, does it taste the same? No, but you can still smoke it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    Krieg:
    I'm sure its still in my yard if anyone is interested in it! lol
    Along with 50 other cigars we've smoked I'm sure

"Long ashes my friends."

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I have heard that if you purge the cigar often after you relight it the cigar tastes better. I just pitch them though.