Home Pipes

What's up with McClelland?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
It may just be "that time of year", but it seems that more and more of the McClelland blends I like are backordered.  I saw that they're discontinuing the "Across the Pond" line of Frog Morton, hopefully everything else will return to normal soon.
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Syrian Latakia is gone and not coming back, as tobacco companies run out of the last of their last leaves they'll be forced to discontinue or reblend their mixtures that feature this tobacco.

Anyone want to start the bidding on my unopened can of 3 Oaks Syrian?  :D

The following thread seems to have the relevant juicy details if you want to do further reading on this, but this has been coming a long time:  http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7281-The-End-of-Syrian-Latakia
    Post edited by Yakster on
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.  I was hoping the Cyprian market would be able to fill the void.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    And now we know.

:( 

So, Sutliff?  Stokebye?  C&D?  Who's your next favorite bulk supplier?  

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have quite a few from c&d. But I think gawith is the front runner for picking up the slack in the Virginia market
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like C&D but buying their tins worries me given all of their mold issues last year. I'm not a bulk fan. I like my tins. 
    I have quite a few from c&d. But I think gawith is the front runner for picking up the slack in the Virginia market

Samuel, or G&H?

What I'm really going to miss are the orientals.  I'm looking at Comoy, ( Comoys?), the number 11 mixture I think, and wondering if it's similar.

I think both have their followers and both will also pick up some new customers out of the deal. But I think g&h might have the upper hand where Virginia flakes are concerned
    I heard somewhere that one of the comoy blends jarred up with a barrel stave for 6 months comes really close to frog cellar. I can't remember which one though
    edited March 2018
    You know, I said that about the orientals, then, after you mentioned it I started thinking about what I'm smoking.  I've got a few containers with blends I came up with myself that I smoke daily, one is heavy with orientals, all are mainly based around McClelland's Fragrant Red Virginia.

Heavy
                Heavy 
                           sigh........

I'll try to shut up about it now.

Mourn at your own pace, in your own way. I held a candle light vigil. I won't judge you
    Sadly though, I have heard there is no equal for the McClelland Orientals. Many blends will never be the same due to McClelland being the source of the red Virginia's and orientals. I've already noticed some house blends vanishing from the roster at b&m online stores
    Cellar and original frogs were available on sp as of 10:30 am march 7th. I'm about to test the limits of my wife's patience and forgiveness
    edited March 2018
    OK, I'm going down with you.  Trying that New Century, too.  Looks like foul weather ahead for a day or two.

:#

My doghouse sleeps two if you need a place to ride out the storm
    So, a couple tins of each that were available, along with a 1/2 lb. of 2040 Cyprian Mixture from P&C, 
    ("um, honey, do you really need that much?".  "Why yes, yes I do!") 

and I'm looking more closely at various other brands for the future.  I wonder who bought up their equipment, etc.?  Will we see re-creations soon?

The McNiel family was adamant they they will not be selling blend rights or authorizing any recreations. When paired with the new FDA rules and regs, it likely means we will never see it again.
    I bought 40, 100g tins. 20 each of cellar and original. I'm hoping to trade some for the town, which is my favorite but wasn't available. 
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 40, 100g tins. 20 each of cellar and original. I'm hoping to trade some for the town, which is my favorite but wasn't available. 

We really, really, really need a "Holy S*h*i*t" button....
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. If anyone knows a guy with some town he won't miss, and you don't want it for yourself, tell them I'll probably be looking for a new place to live soon. I'm not very pretty and I eat a lot, but I swear you'll find a redeeming quality if you put up with me long enough. Like reverse Stockholm syndrome
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Opinions on McClelland Orientals? Everything is sold out but the Orientals. Every shop I've been to has a bunch of green tins left. I just have no idea if they would be worth picking up. Never tried an Oriental and everyone is leaving them on the shelves.
    edited March 2018
    There are several.  The ones I've had are great, but I never learned number this from number that.  Checking them out over at P & C I think the No. 1 & No. 14 were what I liked.  I mostly used them as a starting point to mix up something for myself.  Because I'm a spaz and can't help but change things.  

I was planning to try some of the Grand Orientals soon, they sold out first.
    Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

edited March 2018
    McClelland did great orientals. If you have the money to spare, buy them up.

Still being in stock after this long is intriguing. I know even some of the least popular blends still disappeared overnight. I'm curious which one it is that no one wants
    McClelland did great orientals. If you have the money to spare, buy them up.

Still being in stock after this long is intriguing. I know even some of the least popular blends still disappeared overnight. I'm curious which one it is that no one wants
    They have a bunch of different ones. I know one of them is the #1. They were all different.