Home Cigar 101

Serious Rookie Humidor Mistake. Need Help !

I think I seriously messed up. I used up all the cigars from my everyday humidor and I thought I would use the empty time to give it a re-season. I didn't have any distilled water on hand so I thought, "hey, I'll just use the propylene glycol solution to wipe the sides down. After all, it's antibacterial." 

So now I'm reading on web that that stuff is pretty much like anti-freeze ... and now I'm thinking that I just completely ruined my humidor.

Is there any way to fix this? Am I as screwed as I think I am?

Please help!

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't panic. I don't like the stuff either, but it is used all the time as a humectant in tobacco for pipes and sometimes in cig bulk tobacco. Compared with all the pesticides and fungicides cigar tobacco is sprayed with it's not a big deal.
  • YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    As said relax...eventually it will evaporate for the most part and start over
  • Cigar-20007197Cigar-20007197 Posts: 4
    Thanks. I think I'm just going to wipe in down really good with distilled water then let it completely dry out. Then start over from scratch.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, it's ruined. 
    What did you do?
    You'll have to disassemble it, kiln the wood, plane it, then sand it and then re-assemble it and then season it.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now I'm reading on web that that stuff is pretty much like anti-freeze ... and now I'm thinking that I just completely ruined my humidor.
    Ok. Now that I went for the laugh, here is the science of it.
    Propylene glycol is NOT [I repeat] NOT like, similar or even in the same family as antifreeze.
    Antifreeze is Ethylene glycol.

Propylene Glycol is considered safe to humans by the FDA.
    In large quantities, propylene glycol can make you feel sick, give you the runs and not make you feel real well. In minute quantities, not so much.
    Ethylene Glycol is poisonous to most animals, including humans.

These geniuses who like to call it an antifreeze are paraphrasing the fact that food and pharmaceutical companies use it as a deicer for machines and equipment that can freeze up and may come in contact with food or medicines.

It's like saying salt is an antifreeze.

It amazes me that all these people see the "glycol" in it and immediately start believing it is the same as antifreeze without knowing anything about chemicals or how they work.

So, the next time someone tells you that it's antifreeze, tell them it is a food safe de-icer. 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Cigar-20007197Cigar-20007197 Posts: 4
    Propylene glycol is NOT [I repeat] NOT like, similar or even in the same family as antifreeze. ...  So, the next time someone tells you that it's antifreeze, tell them it is a food safe de-icer. 

But I read it on the internet, it must be true. Right?
    _Not_
    So I did some research myself as well and from what I can tell it is just as you described. Food grade. It is also the main ingredient in "vaping". So, I'm not so worried anymore. And BTW, the humidor is maintaining perfect humidity. So, maybe I accidentally stumbled onto something... hmmm.
  • HolyWarriorHolyWarrior Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    Just rinse it out with a hose you will be fine lol