Home General Discussion

Why Pennsylvania?

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering why a lot of these cigar distributors and auctions are based out of PA?  

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Taxes and regs.

Here in Dull-Aware, for instance, there's a 15% tax on any tobacco products brought in for sale. In nearby MD, that tax is 70%. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Because PA is awesome.

Historically, PA was a large tobacco producing state with lots of small cigar makers, too.  Not sure when all these places got their starts or how they can trace their origins, perhaps to some small business.

We have an Amish farm down the road that grew tobacco in last year's rotation.

There are small cigars in certain packages that those retailers can't sell inside PA, too.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no cigar taxes in PA.

The Pennsylvania-based online retailers don't have to collect sales tax like your local cigar shop. 

Since there's no sales tax on cigars ..... the PA retailers can advertise "lower prices" than your local cigar shop

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That surprises me....This is the Northeast where the states like to tax everything. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think Delaware would be better on the taxes considering they're largely a tax free state. Cigs up here in Pennsyltucky are almost $3 more a pack because of tax.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regs are also chaotic. I cannot have my favorite New York winery ship to Dull-Aware. I can drive up there and bring it back. I can ask them to ship to my buddy in Merryland, then bring it home from his house (Merryland is 3 miles away). My bro in law in PA imports French wines for fancy Philly restaurants. He cannot ship to a customer. Instead, he must ship from his warehouse to a state owned store, and the restaurant must then send out a van to pick the wine up... costs a buck a bottle for this "service". 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a time when we had to drive to Idaho to get Coors beer, cause it wasn't sold in Oregon and Washington. We could make $100 a weekend.
    Plus Idaho's drinking age at that time was 19.

Good lord, that was a long time ago. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    When my folks were growing up in Stanton and Yorklyn, Dull-aware, they had to drive over to Elkton, MD to get beer. Don't remember if it was because they didn't card there or if the drinking age was younger lol. I'll have to ask mom in the morning. 

We used to go over to Hunter's Den on Old Capital Trail...they never carded and Friday nights were live music.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Markwell said:
    When my folks were growing up in Stanton and Yorklyn, Dull-aware, they had to drive over to Elkton, MD to get beer. Don't remember if it was because they didn't card there or if the drinking age was younger lol. I'll have to ask mom in the morning. 

We used to go over to Hunter's Den on Old Capital Trail...they never carded and Friday nights were live music.
    For the longest time you couldn't buy alcohol in Delaware on Sunday but you could in Maryland so the stores on the line were busy on those days. Also way back when the legal age in MD was 18, NJ was 19, DE was 20 and PA was 21. So on the weekends their parking lots were full of high school aged kids from DE and PA. If you ever notice, on most of the bigger roads going into MD from DE there are 2 or 3 liquor stores right on the line.
    If you're into beer, stop at State Line Liquors on Elkton Rd and check out their walls of beer...Truly impressive all the different beers they stock.
    There were some really sketchy bars on the "Line" too....Ahhhh the fond memory's of of flat luke warm Old Mil by the pitcher full.    
    PA liquor laws are dumb.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Yeah I don't get them at all. A few of the sheetz gas stations down around Carlisle finally got the ok to have beer caves.
    I blame the Quakers......

There's a few in the York area.  And some Giant and Weis stores carry beer.  But you have to buy it in a separate transaction at the deli. Going to the tavern to get carry out always seems weird to me.  I pass by about 15 on the way to anywhere else I could buy beer.  Most of them only have bud and Yuengling, though.  Can't stand either choice and a lot of those places seem really seedy. 

And don't get me started on the state stores for wine and liquor. 

TN and MS had different regulations on beer and wine, too.  Seems to me that they're pretty similar in the way they get consumed and are better lumped together than wine and liquor.

IN just allowed Sunday sales of alcohol. 

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^ Indiana does finally sell alcohol on Sunday, but only from 12 pm to 8 pm. If your in the grocery store and try to purchase at 8:05 pm your screwed. Baby steps. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God bless Texas but their laws on alcohol change county by county, guess if you live there you would have it all figured out. If you see liquor stores at the county line you know you are entering a dry county.
    A little dirt never hurt