Home Cigar 101

Peat

Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
Can anyone tell me what the cigar note/flavor peat is akin to?
I just had a cigar that's supposed to have peat in it, and I'm trying to figure it out.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Russ55:
    Can anyone tell me what the cigar note/flavor peat is akin to?
    I just had a cigar that's supposed to have peat in it, and I'm trying to figure it out.
    To me it is that damp earthy flavor. Reminds your of freshly turned black dirt. You know not dirty, but "peaty".

Did you get any of that in the stick?
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Well how do you differentiate "earthy" from "peaty... I have seen both in reviews.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The best way to figure out what peat is would be to grab a handful of peat and give it a good sniff. Then you have a basis for comparison.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The best way to figure out what peat is would be to grab a handful of peat and give it a good sniff. Then you have a basis for comparison.
    this is exactly how one develops their palate. perfect answer.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    Well how do you differentiate "earthy" from "peaty... I have seen both in reviews.
    Maybe, earth with hints of vegetable or moss, it's hard to describe. Not really a crisp taste closer to musty. The main thing is do you enjoy the taste no matter what it is called ?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I know that a lot of Single Malt Scotches are distilled with peat. It gives it a very smokey earthy flavor........ if that makes any sense.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Earth = smell some dirt

Peat = smell some peat. if you don't have peat, try dampened dead grass or leaves.

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hawk55:
    Different terminology for the same or similar tastes? Tomatoe , Tamotoe, you know.

Other flavors which are similar are used intermixed as well.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Ordinarily, that's what I'd do, and have done in the past. Coffee, espresso, leather, etc. However; I don't have any peat, and after looking it up and reading what it is I'm not sure I want it in my cigars.

From Wikipedia: Peat is an accumulation of partially decayed vegetation matter. Peat forms in wetland bogs, moors, muskegs, pocosins, mires, and peat swamp forests.

ick. Thanks for the replies that likened it to something else. I think I did taste it.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Ordinarily, that's what I'd do, and have done in the past. Coffee, espresso, leather, etc. However; I don't have any peat, and after looking it up and reading what it is I'm not sure I want it in my cigars.

From Wikipedia: Peat is an accumulation of partially decayed vegetation matter. Peat forms in wetland bogs, moors, muskegs, pocosins, mires, and peat swamp forests.

ick. Thanks for the replies that likened it to something else. I think I did taste it.

So are we talkin PEAT, as in the garden additive PEAT MOSS?

I don't know about you fellas, but a fine well groomed garden in the morning sunlight is a very natural and relaxing smell, IMO.

Of course, I worked in a garden center for 5 years and let me tell you! The aroma of a warm summer morning with CRAZY hot gals strolling around in their bikinis with beads of sweat that glycine in the light, looking for flowers and additives for their gardens...

"But wait" she'd say , "Who will help me carry this heavy bag of **** to my car?" I bellowed back "I'll take care of this!" I tear open my shirt like Fabio and hoisted both her and her sacks of **** up on to my shoulders and took them to her car...

Ah, those were the good ol' days...
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    nightmaremike31:
    Russ55:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:

So are we talkin PEAT, as in the garden additive PEAT MOSS?

I don't know about you fellas, but a fine well groomed garden in the morning sunlight is a very natural and relaxing smell, IMO.

Of course, I worked in a garden center for 5 years and let me tell you! The aroma of a warm summer morning with CRAZY hot gals strolling around in their bikinis with beads of sweat that glycine in the light, looking for flowers and additives for their gardens...

"But wait" she'd say , "Who will help me carry this heavy bag of **** to my car?" I bellowed back "I'll take care of this!" I tear open my shirt like Fabio and hoisted both her and her sacks of **** up on to my shoulders and took them to her car...

Ah, those were the good ol' days...
    that's definitely the experience I associate PEAT with.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    I know that a lot of Single Malt Scotches are distilled with peat. It gives it a very smokey earthy flavor........ if that makes any sense.

Scotch = the barley is heated with a peat fire, thus giving the Scotch it's 'peaty' flavor, and making it "Scotch". Otherwise, it's pretty much just Irish Whiskey. Both single malts and blends should have a peaty flavor if they are truly scotches, since the malted barley would have been exposed to a peat fire. I don't know a whole lot about scotches beyond J. Walker, Chivas and Glenlivet, but I would try a decent Scotch to expose myself to a peat flavor. It would probably be much more pleasant the stuffing your face in a handful of peat!

There was a thread dedicated to Scotch on here recently - you could probably find some good recommendations from someone more knowledgeable than me.
  • Laphroaig is probably one of the 'peatiest' scotches out there.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    lilwing88:

Scotch = the barley is heated with a peat fire, thus giving the Scotch it's 'peaty' flavor, and making it "Scotch". Otherwise, it's pretty much just Irish Whiskey. Both single malts and blends should have a peaty flavor if they are truly scotches, since the malted barley would have been exposed to a peat fire. I don't know a whole lot about scotches beyond J. Walker, Chivas and Glenlivet, but I would try a decent Scotch to expose myself to a peat flavor. It would probably be much more pleasant the stuffing your face in a handful of peat!

There was a thread dedicated to Scotch on here recently - you could probably find some good recommendations from someone more knowledgeable than me.
    Ummm you are very incorrect here sir. Irish Whisky(note the e missing) is not just Scotch with beat smoked barley. Second some of the finer Scotch are never exposed to peat smoke. The fact that they are or are not peat smoked has nothing to do with their quality. Believe it or not their are some Bourbons and some Irish Whiskys that are peat smoked.
    I know other whiskeys, whiskys (no 'e'), bourbons etc CAN use peat for fuel (sometimes mixed with other fuels), but I always understood that ALL scotches used peat exclusively as the fuel for drying the malt. No?
    Unless I am completely incorrect. In which case i may kill myself.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Unless I am completely incorrect. In which case i may kill myself.
    I should have phrased my original point better, I wouldn't want your blood on my hands..........

SOME Single Malt Scotches are created using peat somewhere in the process. I happen to have a bottle of one in particular. A bottle of Signatory Vintage 7 year. Very earthy and smokey.

I will not speak for all scotches, as I am no expert.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    No one makes me bleed my own blood.
    Maddy, you are absolutely correct, so please step away from the ledge..lol!

I always thought that a peat fire was what made scotch "scotch". I even found verification of this on the internet. But I discovered a very disturbing fact today -- the internet lies!! The b astard!

Anyway, I found this site. It may not be the most official reference, but it does quote the UK law for producing what is officially considered scotch. And while peat is what originally made scotch unique, it is not 'officially' required for a libation to be considered scotch.
    link:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1556118/what_makes_scotch_scotch.html?cat=22

"The United Kingdom defines "Scotch" whisky by law. The Scotch Whisky Act 1988 requires Scotch to be made from malted barley and, if other grains are used, they must be whole (not malted). The mash, fermentation, distillation and maturation of the whisky must all occur in Scotland, making it impossible to produce the whisky in the U.S. Scotch must be matured in an oak cask no larger than 700 litres for at least 3 years. The final product must have an alcohol content of at least 40% by volume (80 proof), although 43% is the norm. Ironically, the step that gives Scotch its distinctive flavor is not one of the legal requirements for its production. During malting, peat is smoldered under the barley. Peat is a sod of decaying grasses cultivated from the Scottish moors. The smoke permeates the malt and imparts that flavor to the finished whisky. Although peat material can be found in other parts of the world it would not likely have the same characteristics found in the Scottish sod."

Damn, I need a drink. Maybe I'll just stick with that Diet Mountain Dew and vodka everyone has been raving about...eeehhhh, or maybe not.
    Thank you for talking me away from the edge sir. I was close to leaping as the internet was lying to me too.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    That just goes to show you..you can't believe everything you see...I mean read...or something like that. Anyway I guess we should always do as much reading and research as possible, and consider the sources before we run off half cocked..or fully loaded...
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    madurofan:
    No one makes me bleed my own blood.
    I nearly died laughing! Love that movie.
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Well there's your dinner! Enjoy.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    lol. I think the only way to solve this is for all of us to get together, go to ireland, and drink some guiness, untill we can't stand up. That way when we fall down, it would presumably be in peat, and we would know what it smelled like, we could have a designated lighter/cutter hand us a cigar that had a peat flavored review, and try to find the similarities!! Road trip anyone??
    letsgowithbob:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    lol. I think the only way to solve this is for all of us to get together, go to ireland, and drink some guiness, untill we can't stand up. That way when we fall down, it would presumably be in peat, and we would know what it smelled like, we could have a designated lighter/cutter hand us a cigar that had a peat flavored review, and try to find the similarities!! Road trip anyone??
    I'm in!