Home Non Cigar Related

First beer in 6 months...

ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
So, I am heading back to the states in 5-6 weeks and I am looking for suggestions on a great IPA to try as the first beer I have when I get home. I have had a whole lot of different IPA's and the more bitter the better. What do you think is worthy of being the first beer I drink since July?

Comments

• BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I've seen some of the beers that you have had and like. Although I'm not really sure of everything that you have access too, I still recommend the Dogfish Head 60, it's a very nice IPA. If you are really into bitterness, then you might want to try the 90 minute...many many people who like IPA's really enjoy this one (except me, but that doesn't really mean anything).

Victory Brewing also loves hops...if you've not had them, try the Hop Wallup and the Hop Devil. I've had the Hop Wallup and thought it was really good (probably not as good as Two Hearted, but still very good). I've not had the pleasure of trying the Hop Devil, but I have read mostly good reviews of it.

Since it appears that you have access to Stone, I would highly recommend their Ruination. It's a fantastic Imperial IPA. If you get a bottle, be sure to read the back of the bottle, I thought it was hilarious.

Also, I see that the Avery Maharaja, which is also an Imperial IPA, is distributed to Total Wine and More in Raleigh...I recommend that beer as well. I would imagine other stores closer to Fayetteville might carry it, but I see that people have at least bought it at Total Wine and More before.

If you can find it, Green Flash Imperial IPA is another good example of a hoppy beer and is a bit on the bitter side.

Ok, last one, sorry to bury you in all of this. As you can tell, I love beer and it has been a hobby of mine for several years, so I enjoy talking about it. I just bought a six pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. This was a very solid and traditional IPA where the finish was long and bitter. Several minutes after finishing the beer, I was still able to feel the hops on my palate, let alone taste them. If you enjoy bittering hops, then I have to recommend this one. I think you'll really enjoy it.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Congrats dude. A local favorite of mine, though I don't know if they have it near you, is Schlafly Export IPA. Their Dry Hopped APA is pretty good too, just different, but definately has the hoppy bitterness you said you prefer.
  • +1 to the Dogfish Head. Most of the beer I drink is local to my area so I can't really make many suggestions. Unless of course you happen to be in Portland (which I doubt).
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I have ahd both the 60 min. and the 90 min. Dogfish Head. They were both GREAT beers, the 90 minute being more enjoyable due to its intense bitter flavor (simply amazing). Do they offer anything else that you would consider worthy of being the first beer I have in 6 months? I am open to anyhting really, I just know IPA's the best and they are my favorite so I threw that out there. Thanks for the input!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    T. Gervais:
    +1 to the Dogfish Head. Most of the beer I drink is local to my area so I can't really make many suggestions. Unless of course you happen to be in Portland (which I doubt).
    I live in Salem, we are truly blessed with our beer selection. anyway, if you can find it, try Ninkasi Brewing's Tricerahops. triple hopped, hence the name
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    If you like hoppy beer, then yes the Dogfish Head or the Hop Devil by Victory Brewery......that is an intense beer! I had the Hop Devil once and it was too much for me; it just didn't fit the bill for me.

But I must say that I am partial to lagers because they always seem to have a clean and fresh finish, which I love. So for me, it would be a nice, cold, Yuengling Lagar!!!
    ejenne87:
    I have ahd both the 60 min. and the 90 min. Dogfish Head. They were both GREAT beers, the 90 minute being more enjoyable due to its intense bitter flavor (simply amazing). Do they offer anything else that you would consider worthy of being the first beer I have in 6 months? I am open to anyhting really, I just know IPA's the best and they are my favorite so I threw that out there. Thanks for the input!

Well, here are some other good hoppy beers:
    Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
    Great Divide Titan IPA
    Hoppin Frog Mean Manalishi DIPA (this is distributed to NC, though not exactly sure where to)
    Hoppin Frog Hoppin to Heaven IPA
    Stone Arrogant Basterd (the Double Basterd is incredible)[I had to spell it wrong for censorship]
    Mikkeller All Others Pale
    Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale
    Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest

This list could go and go and I'm only listing beers that I believe you have access to. I'm not sure which of the above is most suited for your tastes. I personally prefer Imperial/Double IPA's over the normal IPA. The flavors are more intense and the bitterness doesn't mask all the other flavors that are available. But that's just me.
    Or you could just go here. You can search all the IPA's and DIPA's you want. You can read people's thoughts on those beers and get a good general view of what a specific beer may taste like. If you see something you're interested in and you don't know if it's available in NC, you can ask me. I have a premium membership and I can check the distribution of the beer (though it's not flawless, it is pretty accurate).

BStayer:
    Or you could just go here. You can search all the IPA's and DIPA's you want. You can read people's thoughts on those beers and get a good general view of what a specific beer may taste like. If you see something you're interested in and you don't know if it's available in NC, you can ask me. I have a premium membership and I can check the distribution of the beer (though it's not flawless, it is pretty accurate).

I am looking for a place in NC, near Fayetteville or Raleigh to get anything from Stone, can you check that one for me? I think I have decided that my first beer will be a Stone Ruination IPA. I have heard GREAT things about taht one and I need to try it haha
    ejenne87:
    BStayer:

I am looking for a place in NC, near Fayetteville or Raleigh to get anything from Stone, can you check that one for me? I think I have decided that my first beer will be a Stone Ruination IPA. I have heard GREAT things about taht one and I need to try it haha

I can look that up for you! It's the least I can do to to say thanks for your service and for my freedom and my country. As far as the Ruination goes, I personally loved it! It's a phenomenal beer. I'll look up some good things for you. So far, from what I've seen, a place called the Thirsty Monk has some really good stuff on tap. But I'll keep in touch and let you know.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Word of warning, I have not tried these particular beers, but they were recommended in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch by the beer writer today. Although I have enjoyed many Sierra Nevada brews. Here they are: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale: From the brewery that started the American pale ale revolution, this IPA pours a hazy copper hue and is loaded with resinous, piney hops that wake up the senses. 6.8 percent alcohol by volume. Bear Republic Racer 5: Like the Celebration Ale, Racer 5 is a fantastic, California-brewed IPA. The hops smell and taste like citrus, and this beer achieves the rare blend of flavor and refreshment. 7 percent ABV. Avery DuganA: Hoppy beers often smell like pine needles or grapefruit zest, but this double-imperial IPA emits a deeper, danker, more earthy nose. Honeylike malts balance out this hop bomb. 8.5 percent ABV.
    I looked up some places for you to try out. It seems like you've already hit perhaps the best one, the Flying Saucer. My information on these places is based solely on what average people like you and me think and say about these establishments. But anyways, another decently rated bar is called The Raleigh Times, Here's their website. The Busy Bee seems ok as well. Here's their website.

If you are interested in a restaurant, The Cleveland Draft House off of I-40, just south of Raleigh has received some good reviews. One reviewer said they have 40 different taps, which is pretty good. Here's their website. The Village Draft House advertises 99 taps and they appear to have a nice selection. Here's their website.

I haven't found anything in Fayetteville that's really impressive. The best ones being Huske Hardware House Brewing Company and The Mash House Restaurant. And they haven't received very impressive reviews.

I don't really know how far you want to drive, but if you're open to going to Durham, it appears there's a good place called Tyler's Taproom and Restaurant up there. There also appears to be a good place to pick up beer called Sam's Quick Shop. That beer store has the highest rates out of everything I saw, including your Flying Saucer. So it might be worth the trip once just to check it out.

I don't really know how far you want to drive, so I tried to stay within Raleigh. Hope this helps.
    BStayer:
    I looked up some places for you to try out. It seems like you've already hit perhaps the best one, the Flying Saucer. My information on these places is based solely on what average people like you and me think and say about these establishments. But anyways, another decently rated bar is called The Raleigh Times, Here's their website. The Busy Bee seems ok as well. Here's their website.

If you are interested in a restaurant, The Cleveland Draft House off of I-40, just south of Raleigh has received some good reviews. One reviewer said they have 40 different taps, which is pretty good. Here's their website. The Village Draft House advertises 99 taps and they appear to have a nice selection. Here's their website.

I haven't found anything in Fayetteville that's really impressive. The best ones being Huske Hardware House Brewing Company and The Mash House Restaurant. And they haven't received very impressive reviews.

I don't really know how far you want to drive, but if you're open to going to Durham, it appears there's a good place called Tyler's Taproom and Restaurant up there. There also appears to be a good place to pick up beer called Sam's Quick Shop. That beer store has the highest rates out of everything I saw, including your Flying Saucer. So it might be worth the trip once just to check it out.

I don't really know how far you want to drive, so I tried to stay within Raleigh. Hope this helps.
    Thats awesome bro! Thanks a lot. This will def. help me have a good time when I get back haha.

I have been to both Huske Hardware and The Mash House in Fayetteville. I really like the Mash House but they are too expensive! I went there with a friend and we each had dinner and a few beers, nothing fancy just dinner and the bill was almost $100!! Huske Hardware is def. more affordable but they are missing a key element in their beers... FLAVOR. All the beers tasted like they were watered down. They were not very good but the bar tender was nice and the wait-staff was HOT haha.
    Sure! Glad to help!! But...you've gotta post back here what beer you have when you get back and your thoughts on said beer when you get back!! I guess it's a little late to making deals after I've already delivered...lol!!
    BStayer:
    Sure! Glad to help!! But...you've gotta post back here what beer you have when you get back and your thoughts on said beer when you get back!! I guess it's a little late to making deals after I've already delivered...lol!!
    Absolutely I will. I will hopefully be able to post it up here while I am at the bar (I am getting an Iphone when I get home!). The only thing that will suck about going to bars now is that NC passed a smoking ban that takes effect on Jan. 2nd. Actualy, now that I think about it, there is a nice patio at The Flying Saucer. It will be January, but hopefully I can make it there in the afternoon!
    OK, so now that I am finaly home and I have had enough time to look around I bought an assorted 12-pack of some brews I have been wanting to try. So far I have had...

Stone IPA
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale
    Bells's Hopslam!
    Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute IPA
    Victory HopSlam! ----- INTENSE!!!

also about 18 Miller Lite's becuase they are cheap and I can get 24 for like $15... I have 2 Stone Ruination IPAs in the fridge now and I am about to pop the top on the first! I can't wait to try this brew!
    I need to try this year's batch of Ruination and see how it is.

Which beer from Victory did you have? I think you made a mistake.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Let us know about the stone ruination...I'm a big fan of most of the Victory's, including the Hop Devil (it is intense). You ever have Dale's Pale Ale, brewed in Colorado, I think. It's very, very good too. I also like Sierra Nevada's harvest ale, though I think you can only get that in the fall?
    I drank both of the Stone Ruination IPA's that I had... That is BY FAR the best beer I have ever had. I don't know how the boys at Stone do it, but everyone else needs to take notes! This beer had every single flavor that I look for in a beer. I let a friend who doesnt drink IPA's have a taste and he fell in love. This beer is an amazing acheivement and I can't belive it's a regular release for these guys. I had to pay $3.50 for a 12 oz. botle of this stuff but it was well worth it! Good thing I know a place to get it at a better price in bulk...

I also JUST had a Victory Hop Devil. It was very good. Not exactly how I like my bitter, hoppy beers, but tastey just the same.

I've not had that particular Sierra Nevada, but I have had a few from them and really enojyed each one. I'll see if I can find some... I know a guy who knows a guy who can get "out-of-season" brews.
  • Sierra Nevada Torpedo is excellent same with their IPA
    Awesome!! Glad you liked the Stone Ruination. I would hate to recommend something and you end up not liking it...lol. Stone does some amazing things with beer and I highly recommend the Arrogant Basterd if you can get some. It's definitely hoppy but it has so many other flavors going on; it's very complex. Oh, and it looks beautiful in the glass, very attractive indeed.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    BEER QUESTION!!

I had an India IPA, the other day, and needless to say, it was "olive-y"... on the finish. Is that normal?

Almost had the whole thing rhyme... damn.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    The Stone IPA is a thing of beauty. Hell, anything from Stone is amazing. How was the Hopslam from Bells? Their Two Hearted is outstanding, of course, but I don't think I've ever tried the hopslam.
    TatuajeVI:
    The Stone IPA is a thing of beauty. Hell, anything from Stone is amazing. How was the Hopslam from Bells? Their Two Hearted is outstanding, of course, but I don't think I've ever tried the hopslam.
    The hopslam was intense to say the least. I love a bitter beer, but this one was a little too much for me. It tasted great for the most part but there was just that intense bitter bite it had that made me not really want another one. It wasn't a bad beer I gues, but I could only drink one or two before I had to stop.
    nightmaremike31:
    BEER QUESTION!!

I had an India IPA, the other day, and needless to say, it was "olive-y"... on the finish. Is that normal?

Almost had the whole thing rhyme... damn.
    Who brewed it? I've never heard of olives being tasted in beer before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. However, IPAs are known to contain an 'earthiness' to them and more predominately than that, have a bit of a 'pine' aroma and flavor which all stems from the hops that are used. I tend to think that olives have a bit of an 'earthiness' to them as well so maybe we're tasting the same thing and thinking of 2 different yet similar tastes?