Home General Discussion

Valentine's Day

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
So Valentine's Day is fast approaching and I thought it might be cool to see what everyone has planned. Would also like to hear if you guys get any great cigar related gifts. That is why I posted this here. For me it is also my wedding anniversary so it is extra special. I was really surprised to see many B&Ms that I follow on Twitter are actually hosting events on Valentine's Day.

My wife decided that I needed a new humidor and despite being totally broke and out of work she bought me a 300 count end table humidor very very very cheap. That is my gift and she needed my advice picking it out. Ordered it last night and can't believe what an incredible deal we got. She supports my cigar hobby and knew I needed more room for cigar samples since I have started doing rep work for 262 Cigars. Very cool wife!

In turn I am letting her pick out her gift. Not sure what else we will do for the day but maybe if we all share some of us might get some really good ideas from each other.

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    We are going camping and will share a nice grilled steak and a campfire. After 32 years you go for the simple things that you both enjoy.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your a lucky man to have a wife that is that cool. As for myself, I'm gonna let Mrs. Slob pick what ever she wants us to do.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    You wouldn't believe me if I told you.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    try me
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    BStayer:
    Sinner! HA!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    Your a lucky man to have a wife that is that cool. As for myself, I'm gonna let Mrs. Slob pick what ever she wants us to do.
    ...ummmm, you may want to rethink that handle for the little lady. May I suggest Mrs. Poker, well, lets keep thinking.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    dennisking:
    BStayer:
    try me
    O.K. My wife and I haven't celebrated Valentine's Day since we've been married. Quite frankly, it's of her doing. She's a very pragmatic individual and doesn't like flowers because they die so soon = waste of money, she doesn't like cards because you throw them away a week later = waste of money. There are much better things to do for Valentine's day than those two things, but it's just an example. She feels Valentines day is a waste of money and is all forgotten in a week anyway. She mainly thinks the day is all hype for Hallmark...lol. Soooo...having said that, I'm not doing a dang thing and I have no fear for it just like I've done these past 7 years.

Besides, we prefer our tokens of affection to be spontaneous and not forced because of a cultural holiday. I still do things for her throughout the year that she greatly appreciates, buy her jewelry or anything that has lasting effect. But she really despises flowers, cards, and most anything that gets thrown away.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Beach BBQ, a bottle of port and a pair of AF BTLs. fortunatly my wife has a taste for cigars, unfortunatly she has a taste for expensive cigars.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    BStayer:
    try me
    O.K. My wife and I haven't celebrated Valentine's Day since we've been married. Quite frankly, it's of her doing. She's a very pragmatic individual and doesn't like flowers because they die so soon = waste of money, she doesn't like cards because you throw them away a week later = waste of money. There are much better things to do for Valentine's day than those two things, but it's just an example. She feels Valentines day is a waste of money and is all forgotten in a week anyway. She mainly thinks the day is all hype for Hallmark...lol. Soooo...having said that, I'm not doing a dang thing and I have no fear for it just like I've done these past 7 years.

Besides, we prefer our tokens of affection to be spontaneous and not forced because of a cultural holiday. I still do things for her throughout the year that she greatly appreciates, buy her jewelry or anything that has lasting effect. But she really despises flowers, cards, and most anything that gets thrown away.

Dude that sounds kinda cool... I wish my GF were more like that.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    BStayer:
    try me

I can understand where she is coming from. My wife says the same thing but she still enjoys getting those things. We celebrate because it is our anniversary and not so much the Valentine's Day part. Dang Kansas City Hallmark propaganda lol. Actually many people feel that way. As long as you are both happy with what you celebrate as a family is all that matters.

You know a made up story of outrageous proportions would have been a good read though. Thought maybe the two of you were going to try to capture The Beard or something.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    BStayer:
    try me

Dude that sounds kinda cool... I wish my GF were more like that.
    wish my wife was like that. And her Bday is on the 24th.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    We are going to go to a movie and maybe some dinner and come back home for some... ;-) I know kind of boring for a married couples first valentines together but like many said we believe it is a hyped day to make companies money and with her in school and my new truck we don't really have the extra money to spend on fancy stuff......except my new 300 count humidor.. he he he he
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Well our anniversary is the 12th. We have been together for 7 years. We always celebrate by combining the two which is much cheaper! This year we are taking a weekend trip to NYC as we have done twice in the past. I bought tickets to go see Wicked and I have a few other tricks up my sleeves! So we aren't exchanging gifts.....just splitting the cost of the trip.
    P.S. Jacob " goodies " will be in the mail on Saturday !
    The Cank:
    P.S. Jacob " goodies " will be in the mail on Saturday !
    Way cool bro! You got the other one I was looking at. I want to see pics when you get it.
    Here is my Anniversary/Valentine's gift. Has 2 trays inside and two dividers in the bottom. Would post more pics but I am seasoning it now and trying to leave it closed.image
    I love it !
    I'll post pics of mine as well but its in its second day of seasoning and I want to post pics of the inside so maybe by Saturday I will open it and see how far along its coming... Saturday man thats a long time to keep it closed..... :-(
    I am using a Boveda seasoning pack and I put a glass of distilled water along with about a half pound of charged beads in it..... It should be seasoned before Saturday wouldn't you think ?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    jsnake:
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    BStayer:
    try me

I can understand where she is coming from. My wife says the same thing but she still enjoys getting those things. We celebrate because it is our anniversary and not so much the Valentine's Day part. Dang Kansas City Hallmark propaganda lol. Actually many people feel that way. As long as you are both happy with what you celebrate as a family is all that matters.

You know a made up story of outrageous proportions would have been a good read though. Thought maybe the two of you were going to try to capture The Beard or something.

Ditto to you! I also celebrate my wedding anniversary on the 14th. Well be going out for dinner and drinks, nothing super duper on the gift front.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My wife and I will go to a restaurant we've gone to every Valentine's day. Tradition, if you will. I would honestly rather cook something (since I'm damn good! lol) but I'm looking forward to some great seafood.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    TatuajeVI:
    My wife and I will go to a restaurant we've gone to every Valentine's day. Tradition, if you will. I would honestly rather cook something (since I'm damn good! lol) but I'm looking forward to some great seafood.
    Tat you are quite the cook. You make a good housewife! Where is the wife treating you to?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Sandman1am:
    TatuajeVI:
    Tat you are quite the cook. You make a good housewife! Where is the wife treating you to?
    Kid's a ***! lol. I made my own Bolognese sauce last night man - you missed out!

We're heading to McCormick & Schmick's.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, our 50th anniversary comes in June so for Valentine's Day I'm taking her to a Disney special called Disney on Ice presents Worlds of Fantasy. She likes this kind of thing and you know the old saying - "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

I haven't yet figured out what we'll do for our anniversary.

Marty

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as Stayer...don't really get the wife anything for Valentine's Day or our anniversary in June. It's not that she wouldn't enjoy it, it's just that I'm a cheap basturd and we got babies to feed and whatnot. This June will be our 10th anniversary, so I guess it's time to step up.