Home Cigar 101

Please help, I screwed up.

Cigar-20086515Cigar-20086515 Posts: 2
edited April 2018 in Cigar 101
Hi, I decided to treat myself and buy a nice relatively expensive humidor.

I knew I had to season it, so I had polypropylene glycol solution delivered with it.  I used quite a bit of the solution seasoning the humidor... multiple wipes to make sure the wood was well and truly moist.... I now realise that was a mistake... I wasn't supposed to use the solution for seasoning  >_<
The humidity in the front hygrometer reads 70% and the one at the back reads 75%. I've left the humidor open for 24hours, and the humidity hasn't dropped.  The room humidity is about 60%, so I know that isn't the problem. 

Do you guys have any advice?

Answers

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Just had another post like this a few months ago. I think the consensus was you’ll be fine. Let it dry out some and reseason. 
  • Cigar-20086515Cigar-20086515 Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Ah good, that's a relief.

Would there be a reason why the hygrometer at the front reads 70%, but the one at the back reads 75%?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah good, that's a relief.

Would there be a reason why the hygrometer at the front reads 70%, but the one at the back reads 75%?
    Innacuracy. 

I might be wrong....
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s a built in hygrometer then it’s oribably mechanical which means it’s more useful as a sundial than it is at accurately measuring humidity. Don’t rely on it or trust it at all. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it’s a built in hygrometer then it’s oribably mechanical which means it’s more useful as a sundial than it is at accurately measuring humidity. Don’t rely on it or trust it at all. 
    Use a digital and do salt test or boveda kit
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that the humidity of the are you live in will have an impact on your humidor. Unless your humidor is sealed completely, which most aren't.

So, outside humidity, if it is relatively high, will take a long time for your humidor to stabilize. And the size of the humidor will also affect the humidity in it.
    I have a tower and often the upper part of it will be 5% different than the bottom.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.