Home Ratings & Reviews

La Flor Dominicana - Double Ligero DL 660 Maduro

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Had one today. Here's my novice review:

Pre Light: Very sweet smelling wrapper with nice tobacco aromas. Good construction, pretty big veins, firm to the touch. Taste of the cap is dark cocoa with sweet pepper.

Toasting: Lit very easily with a triple flame torch. First draw was very peppery. Draw was perfect. Lots of smoke right away without much effort. The first quarter inch still had some pepper but started to mellow out and become very smooth and creamy.

First Third: Very strong coffee and pepper flavors. Oily smooth smoke on each draw. Left an oily residue on the tongue. Burn was slightly wavy but evened out into the second third. Very strong intense flavors so far.

Second Third: Flavors are really coming together and getting stronger and creamier. Almost like a dark espresso coffee with some fresh whipped creme. Very smooth and leathery on the finish. Burn is consistent and strong. It stayed lit long enough to walk away from and use the bathroom. The ash lasted almost to the half way point and looked perfect.

Last Third: Flavors still holding nicely to this point. Still lots of coffee, cream and leather notes. Starting to get a bit warm. But not too hot to finish down to a decent nub.

Smoked it down to about a 1 1/2 inch nub. Overall, a great maduro. And for $6.95 it's gonna be a regular on my list.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    this sounds like the perfect cigar for my father in law. he likes the oil and the pepper.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Buy him a box for his B-Day and he'll leave you the summer home in his will....... They're THAT good.
    WOW, that's pretty damn good. I'll have to find some at the B&M as they are sold out on here.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I smoked that exact stick over the New Years holiday. That was a man's sized stick and it was very tasty. Good choice.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    WOW, that's pretty damn good. I'll have to find some at the B&M as they are sold out on here.
    and the day they get more in is the day they will be sold out again. They can't keep these things in stock, and most places only get them about 2 times a year. I picked up a few from local places around me that still had a couple. Worth every penny of the $9.25 I pay for them too. These are about the best cigar I have ever smoked! I have 4 resting right now... I can't wait to get my hands on some more
    went to the B&M and they had all the vitolas. bought two 660's and will be lighting one up tonight based solely on this review and your guys comments. I can't wait.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you guys like the DL in some of the more standard vitolas, I'd really recommend checking out the DL lancero natural if you come across them, in my opinion, they blow the other sizes right out of the water. The lanceros have incredible balance and more flavor is imparted from the wrapper so they don't take on a one-dimensional flavor profile from all the ligero.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:

Pre Light: Very sweet smelling wrapper with nice tobacco aromas. Good construction, pretty big veins, firm to the touch. Taste of the cap is dark cocoa with sweet pepper.

Toasting: Lit very easily with a triple flame torch. First draw was very peppery. Draw was perfect. Lots of smoke right away without much effort. The first quarter inch still had some pepper but started to mellow out and become very smooth and creamy.

First Third: Very strong coffee and pepper flavors. Oily smooth smoke on each draw. Left an oily residue on the tongue. Burn was slightly wavy but evened out into the second third. Very strong intense flavors so far.

Second Third: Flavors are really coming together and getting stronger and creamier. Almost like a dark espresso coffee with some fresh whipped creme. Very smooth and leathery on the finish. Burn is consistent and strong. It stayed lit long enough to walk away from and use the bathroom. The ash lasted almost to the half way point and looked perfect.

Last Third: Flavors still holding nicely to this point. Still lots of coffee, cream and leather notes. Starting to get a bit warm. But not too hot to finish down to a decent nub.

Smoked it down to about a 1 1/2 inch nub. Overall, a great maduro. And for $6.95 it's gonna be a regular on my list.
    have you had the dl chisel maduro?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Yeah squirrel, the chisel maduro is HEAVEN. In my top 5 favorites for sure. I've got two left and can't bring myself to smoke them because I can never find them locally around me. They cannot keep them in stock. I picked up an Oscuro Natural a few weeks ago - have yet to try it. I have a Coronado last night and it was awesome. Creamy, medium bodied, very interesting flavors. LFD is an awesome brand.
    j0z3r:
    If you guys like the DL in some of the more standard vitolas, I'd really recommend checking out the DL lancero natural if you come across them, in my opinion, they blow the other sizes right out of the water. The lanceros have incredible balance and more flavor is imparted from the wrapper so they don't take on a one-dimensional flavor profile from all the ligero.
    I'll keep this in mind the next time I look for them. Hopefully I can find both these and the Chisel.
    I picked up a box of the oscuro and oscuro maduro but haven't had any yet. you're talking about the one that comes in boxes of 5 right?
    phobicsquirrel:
    lilwing88:

have you had the dl chisel maduro?
    I have not. So far, this is the only one I've tried. The B&M had lots of different vitolas. I'll have to scan through them more carefully next time..... Thanks for the suggestion.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I picked up a box of the oscuro and oscuro maduro but haven't had any yet. you're talking about the one that comes in boxes of 5 right?
    At the B&M by me, they had them in normal sized boxes. $7 a piece for singles, appr. I didn't see any osuro maduros, just the oscuro natural.
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Dangit lilwing, ever since you introduced me to the blue I look at all the smokes you like and want them. Problem being, I live in a 1 horse town and my local "B&M" is a store/swords/incense/fireworks/drive-thru coffee/ swisher sweet/ 5 different cigars in the cabinet Indian smoke shop. Needless to say, they don't have it. So if you say it's good, I'm gonna have to get my hands on some.
    24footjet:
    Dangit lilwing, ever since you introduced me to the blue I look at all the smokes you like and want them. Problem being, I live in a 1 horse town and my local "B&M" is a store/swords/incense/fireworks/drive-thru coffee/ swisher sweet/ 5 different cigars in the cabinet Indian smoke shop. Needless to say, they don't have it. So if you say it's good, I'm gonna have to get my hands on some.
    pm sent
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Got you back.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    So, need an opinion here. I'm about to buy a box of either the DL chisel maduro, or the DL chiselito maduro. Difference is the chisel is 6x54, the chiselito is 5x44. The chiselito are also considerably cheaper. I'm thinking the chiselito would be the stronger of the two, but I really wouldn't mind the smaller size and more smokes.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this is a good smoke. i would love to see it in a lonsdale.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Chisel is stronger than the chiselito, I've had several of both to form that conclusion; but either way you go you win.
    cabinetmaker:
    Chisel is stronger than the chiselito, I've had several of both to form that conclusion; but either way you go you win.
    I like the chisel maddy...
    I've never tried the Chisellito maduro. I'd love to. The Chisel maduro is just a fabulous smoke. Funny looking back on this thread - I bought three boxes of 10 of the Chisel maduro a few months later.