Home Cigar 101

Loose Draw... Tight Draw...

peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
1) Which would you prefer?  Or maybe a better way to phrase it, which do you hate more?

2) How do you deal with either a loose or tight stick, to make the smoking of it more enjoyable?

3) Is it always a matter of poor construction, or can the way it's transported and/or stored also play a part?

Talk amongst yourselves...
"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Comments

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a draw poker thingie but found that if a cigar is too tight and the poker doesnt work  it isn't worth trying to fix.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won’t smoke a cigar that’s too tight I simply pitch it. It ruins the entire smoke and experience to me and winds me up instead of relaxing me with a good smoke. I don’t like doing it but I know I will just get angrier and more fed up if I try to work through it. If I can tell it’s tight before I light it then I will dry box it for 6-12 hrs and sometimes that loosens it up and works, otherwise I pitch the cigar. I don’t mind a loose draw so long as there is at least some resistance no matter how little there is. Humidity of the stick is the only thing besides construction I’m aware of that changes the draw either direction on a cigar. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can regulate a lose draw in most cases. Tight draw is worse. I hate that. I have found the best thing for it is lighting another stick. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate a tight draw. I’ll give it a chance with my 10d dipped galvanized finish nail poker and massage it. If that doesn’t improve it significantly it goes to cigar heaven. I believe it’s mostly construction because it’s coming from an environment that all my other cigars come from.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PerfectDraw worked well on the last few tight draws, but in some cases it was a lost cause.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather a loose draw than tight. Tight draw I use a 3/32" x 6" drill, turning by hand.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Bob said is my practice as well.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t stand a tight draw...but a loose draw can ruin a smoke session as well.
    Best to use a punch on most cigars that allows it first, why? Because if it is a loose draw cigar you just kept it 25-50% tighter, can still always cut the cap off if the cigar turns out to be tight and poke away.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loose draw can be dealt with by taking lighter draws. Tight draw is a PITA...I just keep those for newsletters! KIDDING!
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I'd rather a loose draw than tight. Tight draw I use a 3/32" x 6" drill, turning by hand.

Funny, I read this yesterday, then last night ended giving up on a Dunhill toro.  I'm going to be looking for this drill next time I'm somewhere that might have one.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Funny, I read this yesterday, then last night ended giving up on a Dunhill toro.  I'm going to be looking for this drill next time I'm somewhere that might have one.

I ordered it from McMaster or Grainger. $7

Your very welcome. Enjoy

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome, nice lineup too.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Phil_from_ChicagoPhil_from_Chicago Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I would prefer a loose draw to a tight draw but sometimes the loose draw is too loose and then it just kills the chance of the cigar being better than what I am experiencing. 
    Originally from Chicago

I enjoy good cigars and bourbon,