Home Cigar 101

refreshing the pallet

I just started smoking cigars, and i'm learning as I go on smoking and tasting the cigars, I've tried the 1,2,3 as I puff on the cigar, it kinda came natural as I feel I need to get a good draw thru the body, but my question is, as I smoke I tend to drink an ice cold sierra mist, as it refreshes my pallet before I pull another draw on my cigar, to me it seems I can taste the cigar more and as I smoke down the body of the cigar I get all kinds of new tastes, as I seem I don't if I don't drink anything, like it all blends in on my pallet, I know i can smoke it as I wish, for my pleasure, but am I not getting the full taste of the cigar, as I refresh my pallet?? thanks J

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    It's all up to personal taste. Some cigars I like to have with a good 12 year old scotch, with others, a nice beer seems to compliment well. The "1, 2, 3 puff" is a good way to get the full extent of the flavour from your cigar, but you won't find that all cigar smokers do it. I prefer to take long slow draws, but some cigars seem to smoke better if you draw differently.

Bottom line: Use what works for you. Experiment with different techniques and cigars and even try dark chocolate, nuts, spicy beef jerky, boubon, scotch and wine. They can all work with certains tastes and certain cigars. Trial and error is the best way to find what works for you.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like milk or water when i smoke. it brings the mouth back to a neutral pH where as cigar smoke is slightly alkaline. when the neutrality is achieved you taste better.

along those lines...
    the reason why the soda works so well is because of the acidity in the drink. its the same as coffee. the contrasting acidity/alkalinity will make you taste each better.
    give a good cola a shot. you may find that even though it isnt lime, it should have similar outcomes.
    camgfs:
    The "1, 2, 3 puff" is a good way to get the full extent of the flavour from your cigar, but you won't find that all cigar smokers do it.
    i dont. Usually i do a "1,2puff" and a few times per cigar i do "-1,2,3puff" by that "-1" i mean a purge by blowing through the cigar. then a quick short puff, then a draw.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I prefer water if I have a drink while having a cigar. While beverages like scotch, soda, and coffee can enhance the flavors of the cigar and vice versa, I want to taste the cigar "as is."

I did not know that cigar smoke was slightly akaline. I'm going to try adding a bit of lime juice to my water next time I have a cigar to better balance the pH in my palate.

Related question to you all, how often do you cleanse out your palate when you are having a cigar? I find myself taking a sip of water every 5-10 minutes.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I'm quickly coming to a point where I prefer coffee with a cigar more than anything else. I used to really enjoy spirits such as scotch and bourbon, but I find the cigar becomes rather bland when paired with said beverage. Granted, the cigar tends to make the whisky smoother but that's not the point behind my cigar hobby. The coffee seems to make more flavors of a cigar accessible.

I have tried Coke once and thought it was terrible...lol. Go figure.
    sightunseen:
    Related question to you all, how often do you cleanse out your palate when you are having a cigar? I find myself taking a sip of water every 5-10 minutes.
    To be honest, I've never kept track. When having spirits, I find that I slow down when smoking. It takes me longer to finish a drink while smoking than if I were not smoking.

Since it's winter and cold, I've been drinking Coffee and even Hot Chocolate more than beer or scotch. I found the Hot chocolate to pair rather well with a Gurkha Titan, JR Ultimate Maduro and even an H.Upman Magnum 50. It did not pair well with a 5Vegas Gold or a Cohiba, for me.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I drink water with lighter smokes then when I smoke maduros or heavy cigars I drink a stout or something like a young's double chocolate stout. Coffee works with anything in my opinion. Mocha's are good for some cigars too. If I haven't any of the frappachinos from the store they seem to go well too.
  • sweetjdsweetjd Posts: 39
    well it seems, I'm going to start my trail and error, and try all different kinds of mixes and matches... i will be writing my experences down, and maybe blog about it. haha maybe.. thanks everyone for your input.. never would of thought of hot chocolate.. ummmmm!!!
    sweetjd:
    well it seems, I'm going to start my trail and error, and try all different kinds of mixes and matches... i will be writing my experences down, and maybe blog about it. haha maybe.. thanks everyone for your input.. never would of thought of hot chocolate.. ummmmm!!!
    I'm sure it would go well with a gurkha beast or oliva v maduro.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    sweetjd:
    I'm sure it would go well with a gurkha beast or oliva v maduro.
    May I also add Gurkha Regent Nepalese Warrior. When I had it, I tasted chocolate with a bit of chili powder on it. Kind of like how Spanish restaurants serve it.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    i like milk or water when i smoke. it brings the mouth back to a neutral pH where as cigar smoke is slightly alkaline. when the neutrality is achieved you taste better.

along those lines...
    the reason why the soda works so well is because of the acidity in the drink. its the same as coffee. the contrasting acidity/alkalinity will make you taste each better.
    give a good cola a shot. you may find that even though it isnt lime, it should have similar outcomes.
    camgfs:
    The "1, 2, 3 puff" is a good way to get the full extent of the flavour from your cigar, but you won't find that all cigar smokers do it.
    i dont. Usually i do a "1,2puff" and a few times per cigar i do "-1,2,3puff" by that "-1" i mean a purge by blowing through the cigar. then a quick short puff, then a draw.

I second this and I use feel to see if I need the -1 before the 1,2, draw. I think that I usually puff, puff, Draw. with 1 or two short puffs and one longer draw to bring the smoke into my mouth. What I have learned over time is that you feel how the cigar is perfoming in how often you need to puff and how many short/long puffs you need to get the best smoking experience for you. The only caution I would give you is that if you are pre puffing before you draw make sure that you give the cigar enough 'resting' time between each puff series in order for the cherry to cool back down. Otherwise you may overheat your cigar and that would result in a possible bad experience... rambling a bit, but I just finished my 1st coffee this AM.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

along those lines...
    camgfs:
    I wondered why I liked a cold Coke w/ my cigars, I always figured I was a freak.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I wondered why I liked a cold Coke w/ my cigars, I always figured I was a freak.

The Freak Thing We Already Assumed
    Lots of good info in this thread. Before the Internet (if some of you are old enough to remember, lol) it would have taken years of smoking cigars to figure all this out. Now you new guys and gals can just click a mouse and "Voila"!

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My favorite booze/cigar combo is a Tatuaje Havana VI paired with a Disarano and Sour. The sweetness of the Havana VI and the Disarano together are amazing. The sour mix blends it all together, and the cherry in the drink (as it is typically served) hits the spot. Anytime I bring a Havana VI for a friend to smoke, I make them order that drink and they are in heaven.

My "go-to" drink is Whiskey and Coke. Jack or Makers mixed with coke goes very well with pretty much any cigar for me. I do drink whiskey straight with cigars as well - Woodford Reserve being my fav, and of course, beer. I love a great porter or stout with Maduros, as many do. Chocolate Milk is fantastic with certain cigars as well. The Nub Conny with chocolate milk is ridiculous.

• Thanks for the tips, I tried a Sprite last night with my cigar and it really enhanced the experience.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    My all time favorite is any medium full stick with a diet Dr. Pepper.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Goldy:
    My all time favorite is any medium full stick with a diet Dr. Pepper.
    +1
  • FubarFubar Posts: 33
    I have a slight problem where my mouth salivates to the extent that I need to spit or swallow. Does anyone else have this? Is that why people drink while smoking?
    yes I get that too, I think as I'm just lighting the cigar, I get a mouth full, that I need to spit, but not the reason for the beverage... but sipping on a beverage helps I'm sure..
    Fubar:
    I have a slight problem where my mouth salivates to the extent that I need to spit or swallow. Does anyone else have this? Is that why people drink while smoking?
    ...so what is it, what do you do? spit or swallow?
    haha funny. depends if I'm outside or inside. haha.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    sweetjd:
    haha funny. depends if I'm outside or inside. haha.
    Do you keep the cigar in your hand or your mouth. I noticed if my hands are full and I need to put a tooth lock on it, I will have the same problem.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    phobicsquirrel:
    I drink water with lighter smokes then when I smoke maduros or heavy cigars I drink a stout or something like a young's double chocolate stout. Coffee works with anything in my opinion. Mocha's are good for some cigars too. If I haven't any of the frappachinos from the store they seem to go well too.
    I love me some young's double chocolate stout !!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Back to original topic...today I was drinking a Mexican specialty, Jamaica (ha-my-ka) which is made from Hibiscus flowers, and it had some really effective palate cleansing properties. It has a gentle flavor so it doesn't overwhelm and it's very refreshing so my taste buds didn't get burned out.
  • sightunseen:
    It varies for me. Sometimes I take a sip every few minutes, but there are other times that I sit down with a fresh can of soda and by the time I'm done with the cigar the soda is still sealed.