Home Cigar 101

Tupperware Storage

So I store the cigars that wont fit in my humidor in a tupperware with a lid. inside is have 1 boveda packet 60g, 69% but the hydrometer reads at 78% which is asking for mold. Now I have 2 60g 72% packets in my humidor and it reads at a perfect 72% humidity. Im not sure what to do about the Tupperware asI dont want the cigars inside to get moldy or be to humid and not stay lit

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe put a partially dried out 69% boveda in the tupperware to suck up some of the extra moisture.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I safely assume that you wouldn't be posting those humidity percentages if you weren't positive the readings are accurate because you calibrated the hyGrometer.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Cigar-20065753Cigar-20065753 Posts: 3
    correct. Even further I put the same hydrometer in my humi and it gives the expected reading of 72% which where i try to keep it with 72% boveda but the tupperdor have lower percentage boveda and are reading almost 105 higher 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to know your hyGrometers are accurate.

Are these new Bovedas, or ones that have been recharged?

I'd suggest taking the Boveda out of the Tupperware for a day or three and see what happens.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Cigar-20065753Cigar-20065753 Posts: 3
    they are new ones. ill try it out thanks 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hydrometer:  A float for measuring specific gravity of a liquid

Hygrometer:  A device used to measure humidity

We're a little picky, here.  Not trying to give you a hard time, just introducing you to the terminology of our hobby.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain