Home Ratings & Reviews

When do you give up on a brand?

CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
So this is the third H Upmann 1844 reserve I’ve smoked out of the 5er I got. The first one had basically no draw until I stabbed at it enough, and this one had a crack that I found, which grew bigger and opened up as I smoked it. The second one was fine but not amazing. Would that be enough for you to say never again? And would you refrain from buying anything made by H Upmann if this happened to you, or just the 1844 reserve line?

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try not to judge too early. But if 2 out of three had construction issues and the third was just "meh" I would put the other two in my yard gar drawer and move on.
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try not to judge too early. But if 2 out of three had construction issues and the third was just "meh" I would put the other two in my yard gar drawer and move on.
    Yeah it wasn't bad by any means but it wasn't great. Would that put you off of other lines by the same brand, or just that line?
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would put me off that specific line for a few orders. I may try them again if I get a good experience with one later.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that the fiver came from the same shipment, most likely, so might give them another try in six months or so. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Eric @Echambers
    I once had a problem with a box of cigars that were tight and blamed the manufacturer, only to discover that had I let them rest for a month or so, they were fine.

Also, remember that some wrappers are very susceptible to changes in humidity and will crack if a cool breeze hits it just right.

That being said, sometimes you chalk it up to the cigar and move on.
    For the cost, there are many more that I would go for first.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience said:
    I agree with Eric @Echambers
    I once had a problem with a box of cigars that were tight and blamed the manufacturer, only to discover that had I let them rest for a month or so, they were fine.

Also, remember that some wrappers are very susceptible to changes in humidity and will crack if a cool breeze hits it just right.

That being said, sometimes you chalk it up to the cigar and move on.
    For the cost, there are many more that I would go for first.
    I agree with the second part, now that I'm past the crack this one is still just as meh as the second one with no construction issues. All the others in that group that I ordered have been much better so I'll just stay away from these unless I stumble into one in the future and find that I like it better. Maybe in a year or two the other two I have left will be better. 
    Also, if anyone wants the other 2 for free, shoot me a message. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had good Upmann's, and so-so ones.  I wouldn't give up on the brand for just a couple cigars from one batch.  It took me a couple years, many bad experiences, and many wasted dollars, to give up on Gurkha.  I still smoke the one's that come in the COTMC, but I don't spend any money on them otherwise.  When 3/5 routinely fail, that's way too high a failure rate for me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    So the gurkha thing isn't a joke? They really do explode/pop? I've never had one because I've always heard stuff like that. 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never give up on a brand so long as it's a Victor Sinclair!   ;-)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are good and bad with every brand and every batch.
    You might buy a box one year and have problems, then buy a box a year later and have no problems.

Remember that each is hand made and leaves from different crops and different years are going to affect everything.

I've had some good Gurkhas and bad ones. 
    And I've had a few bad Padrons. So I wouldn't condenm a brand because of a few cigars.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me? I wouldn't trust that specific cigar again. I'd try it again if it were gifted to me or got it in trade but I wouldn't spend any more money on it. And, I've had other Upmann's that were worthwhile but,...... You're the boss, boss. You can write the whole brand off and never give them another chance, if that's what you want to do. There are plenty of other options out there. The fiver you have may be all worthless at this time. Give the remainder of them a few months of rest and try 'em again.  
    @Bob_Luken I wish my boss would say that to me at work. But yeah I'm going to stay away from this line by them unless I stumble into something. Remember though I've only been smoking cigars for like 2 years. So I have a lot of different stuff I'm going to try before circling back to anything by them. I've had a few different cigars that were seriously great for the same price as I paid for those. 
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the gurkha thing isn't a joke? They really do explode/pop?  
    Yes and they'll take your eye out when it happens.  :)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So this is the third H Upmann 1844 reserve I’ve smoked out of the 5er I got. The first one had basically no draw until I stabbed at it enough, and this one had a crack that I found, which grew bigger and opened up as I smoked it. The second one was fine but not amazing. Would that be enough for you to say never again? And would you refrain from buying anything made by H Upmann if this happened to you, or just the 1844 reserve line?

A good hack to do when that happens is to take off the band and place it just above the crack then just slide it up as you smoke it until he cracking stops which it usually will eventually doing it this way. Just tweet the glue with your tongue and hold it in place a few seconds until it holds together. Just don’t make it so tight it won’t slide up without messing up the wrapper. I do this a lot and it works great and keeps my blood pressure down. But do it as soon as it starts.