Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Legend Robusto

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
I enjoyed one last night. I'm not going to do a full review on this one, as I was not that happy with it. I just enjoyed it........ I didn't love it. I'm glad I didn't spend $15 on it, that's for sure

It had all the tastes I go for: spice, cocoas, coffee, leather...... just didn't blow me away. It was full bodied and burned very nicely. Lots of thick oily smoke. The flavor profiles were subtle, though, not strong like I prefer.

The biggest problem I had was that it unraveled on me when I got down to the label. I had trouble taking the label off and I think that caused the unraveling issue. I couldn't tell if it was poor construction.

I picked up a bundle of these a week or two ago for a really good deal. So, I'm not going to sweat it too much. I'm going to let them rest in my humi for a good while before revisiting. Hopefully that will give the flavors time to develop and help with the unraveling issue.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite cigars. My pallet picks up way different tastes than yours does. I get no spice and tons of cedar and wood with some cocoa or chocolate hints.

I love Gurkha but the burn and wrapper issues seem to be very consistent for everyone. I can pull any other cigar out of my humidor and it will burn perfectly. Gurkha is 50/50 on the wrapper splitting, unraveling, or having to relight it 10 times.

Are you sure it was a bundle of Legend? I saw a special on a bundle but it was on Colorado's which look exactly like Legends. There is nothing to differentiate between them. Labels are exactly the same. Usually I see Legend in a 6 or 12 pack and they are expensive. If that deal is still going PM me please.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I've had one of these so far and thought it was great. I had no burn problems at all and the wrapper held together just fine. My pallet isn't very developed yet, but I think I also picked up some cocoa and chocolate in there. Can't wait to revisit them after more time in the humi...
    So far I've had pretty good luck with Gurkha's as far as construction issues are concerned, and I've had quite a few in my relatively short time of experience.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I love this Cigar. But I love the Perfecto/Anniversario. I have had no issues w/construction or burn (on any of the Gurkha Perfectos I've tried (or the Legend Robusto I had). One of my Favs.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that others have enjoyed this one. Like I said, I enjoyed it too, just didn't blow me away like I'd hoped. As far as the construction issue, it was probably my fault. I'm always taking off the label too soon. I need to let the heat melt the glue on the wrapper. I'm always pickin at it......... it's a problem that stems from my childhood, I'm afraid.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    lilwing88:
    I'm glad that others have enjoyed this one. Like I said, I enjoyed it too, just didn't blow me away like I'd hoped. As far as the construction issue, it was probably my fault. I'm always taking off the label too soon. I need to let the heat melt the glue on the wrapper. I'm always pickin at it......... it's a problem that stems from my childhood, I'm afraid.

I know a therapist who specializes in that kinda thing..... lol.
    Today's DD!!!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I saw that. I'm tempted to get more. But I'm getting 10 Cuban Legacys in today....
    lilwing88:
    I saw that. I'm tempted to get more. But I'm getting 10 Cuban Legacys in today....
    Too many smokes... Not enough room in the Humi.... If you were to get more, now would be the time to do it. C.Com has taken them off the Gurkha Sampler list... Just F.Y.I.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I like them, not blown away though. I picked up a couple of 5ers a while back.