Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shipping boxes

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
For any of you fellas that do a lot of shipping...where do you get your boxes? I'm starting up an ebay business and have reached the point where I'm ready to start shipping. Trouble is, the PO doesn't really have the right size for shipping items about the size of a coke can. Suggestions are appreciated!
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at USPS.com?  There's a ton of shapes and sizes.  They're all free and they'll ship them to you free.  Look into the rates for Regional A boxes too.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Plus... two small flat-rate boxes will fit into a padded flat-rate envelope... so if you do find you beer-can-size boxes, they can ship anywhere for $7.25.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U-Line
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Whatsa business?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    Wow...I just typed up a nicely formatted reply to all in one message and the server rejected it. Let's try this again:

@peter4jc
    I did look into the USPS boxes, but in most cases they're all flat rate which is oddly more expensive than first class. Not in all scenarios, but for most of what I am shipping. 

@webmost
    Estate pipes are the main focus, but I am also branching into some other "vintage" items...I hate that word. Working on getting those items out now, along with some pipe stands that I've oiled up. 

@WaterNerd
    Thanks Allan! Think that'll be my best bet. Reply sent bud :)
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Markwell said:

@peter4jc
    I did look into the USPS boxes, but in most cases they're all flat rate which is oddly more expensive than first class. Not in all scenarios, but for most of what I am shipping. 

Not odd at all. Priority travels faster and neither weight nor distance affect the cost. 

For a pipe, look at this U-Line # S-969 ( https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-969/Indestructo-Mailers/7-x-3-x-2-White-Indestructo-Mailers ). I use them for multiple samplers. A hundred costs  $43. Will hold up to a dozen cigars. Should hold a pipe. First class costs $3.75 most anywhere this side of the Mississippi. 

Caveat: Once you do business with U-Line they will bomb you with a huge glossy catalog once a week like clockwork.

• Options
    @webmost good advice, my friend. We actually get the U-Line catalog at work also so I will have to snag one for some reading. When you factor in that many boxes, $0.43 isn't much to pay per diem. I think I can swing that  :D
  • Options
    Would like to hear what Allan advised.

The problem for me w/ Priority is it means a trip to the post office because the label can't be purchased/printed from the USPS website.  For onesie twosies, it might be OK, but I like doing the labels here and giving the boxes to the letter carrier.

Again, take a look at the Regional boxes; the price is dependent on distance and weight.
  • Options
    Here's Allan's advice:

Here's the box I use. I sell stuff on ebay (non-cigar related) and these boxes work great. The boxes are 9x6x4 and are strong but light weight. I don't buy a ton at once but still get them for $0.45 per box. I buy them on ebay and Amazon. You can get a bundle of 25 for $11.

You can send packages via first class mail on the cheap. The USPS will even pick them up at your house. Good luck  

It's my understanding that first class is usually the way to go and that you can indeed create shipping labels online via ebay. Again, please forgive any ignorance I may speak as I am new to this game.
  • Options
    I print 1st class postage labels occasionally using the PayPal shipping link.  You don't need to be doing a PayPal transaction to do this.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    peter4jc said:
    Would like to hear what Allan advised.

The problem for me w/ Priority is it means a trip to the post office because the label can't be purchased/printed from the USPS website.  For onesie twosies, it might be OK, but I like doing the labels here and giving the boxes to the letter carrier.

Again, take a look at the Regional boxes; the price is dependent on distance and weight.
    We print all our priority box labels and the mail truck picks them up. Just register for an account. They will send the boxes to you and pick them up from you.

It's first class that you have to get at the post office. Never heard of the ebay/paypal methods.

Never heard of regional boxes either.

• Options
    The Regional Boxes are not flat rate, but they can be more reasonable than the standard flat rate boxes.  Generally, you'll save more money if you use your own boxes.  You can't print postage for the Regional Boxes from PayPal, but can from the USPS.com site.

Paypal offers other shipping carriers than USPS, and the USPS flat rate postage is a little bit cheaper on PayPal than on the USPS.com site.