Home Non Cigar Related

Murphy's Law

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seems like no matter how much we plan and how thoroughly we work things out in our heads, there's always an unexpected twist...a wrench that gets thrown into the works if you will. I had a whole weekend planned out, had tuned up the Mark Mobile, changed the oil, rotated the tires, etc and boogied up to the Poconos to to what I do best - train stuffs. The weekend went great. Ever'body had a good time and there were no major catastrophes...until the trip home.

While crossing over the railroad tracks of the line I had just ridden all weekend, the entire left side of my exhaust system decided to take a crap. I was well aware of the roughness of said crossing and had already slowed to the earth scorching speed of 5mph, but that didn't work this time around. Soooo...limped back to base with the remnants of my exhaust protruding from the trunk and sunk the remains of my paycheck into a new system which I installed today. Fun fun. 

I'm writing it off as a typical weekend for the books. Seems like every single time I venture out on a trip of any considerable distance (even if it's only 2 counties north) Murphy is there to rain on the parade. Fvck you, Murphy, you suck! Fortunate I was able to make it home, but sure as hell was not planning to sink all that $$ into the car this week. Feel free to share about your little black storm clouds. 
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, we've had two repairs on one car recently.  That cost about a grand (though that total included some routine maintenance, too.)

My chainsaw broke (sparkplug wire snapped) and I haven't begun to price a repair (at least I don't need it right now.) I saw a good deal on a floor model, but held off.

My string trimmer made it around my little pond and decided to die. I was hoping to get this season out of it before getting a new one.  I've had it for years.  It's a cordless battery type.  I have three batteries, but they're all kaput.  Even fresh with full charges, it would take me about 5 packs to do my current place (I have two chargers, so have 'em all ready and then wait 8 hours for two to finish.)  Price has gone up on those things to where three will cost more than the trimmer.  This worked great at my last couple places I lived, but I have known I need to go to a gas one. 

Then my wife comes to me needing a new wardrobe.  She's lost 20+ pounds so she deserves it, and has needed some items for a while but hates spending money on herself.  I fixed the car.  The other stuff has to wait (or I have to figure out how I can fix them for cheap.)  Mamma gets the clothes.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After all these years, I've come to the conclusion **** just happens.....So times it's at the right time and some times it's at the worst possible time. I try to only get mad/disappointed if it was something I could have done to prevented it from happening.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And remember the scary part... Murphy was an optimist!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    And remember the scary part... Murphy was an optimist!

Beat me to it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the spark plug wire on my chainsaw, it's a fairly easy task and better than paying someone else $75 to do it.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind Murphy's Law as much as Cole's Law.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Murphy and I have been friends for a very long time now. I found becoming friends with him made a great deal of difference, (mostly my response to his antics) I found that he would get frustrated with my attitude, He began staying away for longer periods of time, so that he rarely shows up now, only every once in a great while.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I'll take care of Cole's Law.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is that Murphy's law is missing the final sentece that says that things have already gone wrong, you just have discovered it yet.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Wylaff said:
    I'll take care of Cole's Law.
    I like my Murphy's with a side of Cole's Law.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon