Home Non Cigar Related

Raising kids

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Even though I am not raising my grandson he and my daughter are still living with us. The worst thing about raising my kids and having my grandson living with us is when they are sick. Can’t stand it. Just breaks my heart. Wish it was me every time. What is or was the hardest thing for you?

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The constant running around, seems like everyday we have to take one somewhere. 
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me was all the sports injuries. There is something that I think a mother feels when you're taking your kid to the ER it's undescribable and I would have traded that spot every time to take the pain away
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it was teaching them about consequences. It's a hard thing for them to understand....If you do this, this will happen...Be it good or bad.
    A lot of the time you'll end up having to let them find out for themselves what will happen....At times it will break your heart and other times it will make you proud. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching their missteps and having to decide when to step aside and make them deal with the consequences.  Everyone in my family is pig headed stubborn which doesn't help.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Driving!!!! There are some curbbing evidence on my rims that hurts every time I wash my car... smh (followed by letting them go...)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on driving.  I have six sons and they all wanted to drive at 16.  I felt when they were 25 and got out of the seminary, that would be plenty of time!  As a cop, I responded to too many accidents with teen drivers when they got talking or goofing with their friends and it ended in tragedy and I had to tell the parents.

It took everything I had to let them go and get their permits and then their licenses.  I was lucky or maybe some of my many lectures sunk in, but we never had a problem.  That doesn't mean the fear wasn't there.
    I forgot about driving....I started them early 10 - 12 years old, while driving I pointed things out like what different signs were, what the painted lines on the road were for,
    how to read a map, and most important what to look for in other drivers. 
    They also used to shift the gears for me... I'll push in the clutch and say 3 and they put it in third....Which came in handy when my oldest got a Ranger with a stick in it as her first truck/car. It only took half an hour to get that down.
    Now my youngest is wanting to get her motorcycle licence......More gray hairs ahead. 
    Fun's just getting started at that age.

Yakster said:
    That's a understatement......The fun part is up until about the age of 13....Then it's like raising a pack of wild wolves till they get to about 18, then it gets fun again. 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking back on what a dip $hit I was when I was a teenager, as well as many others, I think my plan is to have kids and then give them away when they turn 13. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Driving is the biggest life or death situation for teens. We made our kids wait to get their drivers license thinking older is better. Their first car was a mid 80's Ford Fairmont(this was 20 yr ago), plenty of beef was our thinking. They both had some fairly serious wrecks with their second cars. I was smoking out back of the house when I heard tires screeching and a helluva lash up so went out the back gate and ran into my son, wrapped his car around a utility pole, not even sure how he got out of that mess.
    A little dirt never hurt
    ForMud said:
    Yakster said:
    That's a understatement......The fun part is up until about the age of 13....Then it's like raising a pack of wild wolves till they get to about 25, then it gets fun again. 

FIFY

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that ^ when they move out or move back in?
    Move out!

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just say no to kids.
    Having them, that is. Problem solved.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    0patience said:
    Just say no to kids.
    Having them, that is. Problem solved.
    You can say no to them after you've had them, too.  A fact many seem to overlook these days, resulting in terrible adults that have never been told no being released upon an unsuspecting world.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain