Home General Discussion

Traveling to Greece

Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
I'm traveling to Greece to visit family. I want to take some cigars with me but I don't think I'll have room in my checked luggage. I know you can take cigars in your carry-on, but I couldn't find anything about the limit you can take. Has anyone taken cigars in their carry-on? If so, how many did you take and did you have any issues? I'd like to take 20 with me. Also, can someone recommend a good travel humidor that can carry 20?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For travelling, I tend to use one of them food containers with the locking sides. They're solid, they're air tight, and they're cheap.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snapwhere for the win!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would call to see what the  current TSA/International guidelines are,  they "unofficially change policy" often so that's your safest bet.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have taken a 15 count travel humi, even had a cutter stashed in it, no problem. Thought I just saw a post about somebody interested in trading one, will have to look.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/899329/trade#latest

There it is
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully going back next summer myself. Have fun
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put like 20 in a plastic bag with a boveda in my checked luggage in February when I went to Mexico with cutters and lighters. If you have room in your carry on but not your checked luggage, I'd just move a few t shirts into the carry on and take all of the risk out. Also, the limit when you come back into the US is a maximum of 100 cigars, but I don't know the limit in Greece. 
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    You probably already know this but just in case.  You can take a soft flame lighter but not "torch" style lighter, not even in your checked bags.  It might get passed TSA but why chance it getting confiscated.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    To minimize the amount of space needed I just use a big ziplock bag with a boveda pack and fill it up with cigars.  The most i've taken in my carry on is probably around 10 cigars.  Never had a problem.  I doubt that 20 would be an issue but i'm not sure.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I also either pre cut all my cigars so there is no need for a cutter or keep the cutter in my luggage if I have a luggage.  I also bring a soft flame lighter.  I don't want to risk any of my nice torch lighters getting taken.
    I put like 20 in a plastic bag with a boveda in my checked luggage in February when I went to Mexico with cutters and lighters. If you have room in your carry on but not your checked luggage, I'd just move a few t shirts into the carry on and take all of the risk out. Also, the limit when you come back into the US is a maximum of 100 cigars, but I don't know the limit in Greece. 
    no 100 limit anymore
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'll be bringing 100 back. I had my fill on cubans and just wasn't impressed with them. I smoked about 20 while I was there last year.

Oyam123 said:
    20 is fine to take. I like the Tupperware and Boniva. 
    Enjoy Greece, I sure did. 
    I always enjoy it, but I've been so many times that it feels like just another vacation... Next time you're there make sure you get the grilled octopus. Greece is known for having some of the best octopus in the world.Ignore the dandelion salad below. The octopus is just above it to the right.

what part you go to? My family is in Corfu
    -- Winston Churchill

Saw athens the last time we went. Corfu is beautiful and simple
    -- Winston Churchill

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    no 100 limit anymore
    What's the limit now?
    no limit on bringing cubans back personally
    -- Winston Churchill

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to get in on that trade, bbq sauce for an island getaway, smdh
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    no limit on bringing cubans back personally
    I think you're right. I remember when I stopped in canada last year on my way back, and the cuban cigars were after security and customs at the airport. I could have brought back 10+ boxes if I had the room and the money...I never went through security again...