Home Cigar 101

Rh levels help

Anthony436Anthony436 Posts: 6
Hey guys I just bought my first humidor. It's a white tail 40ct. Glass top I've seasoned it but I cant get the RH to  Stabilize. When I close the lid the rh rises to about 80%  i took out the humidifier disk but it still rises 

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, don't worry too much. What goes up must come down. Seasoning takes more time than most new guys realize. How long has it been since you wiped it down? (I'm assuming you wipped down.) Wipe down method is too fast if ya ask me. I would recomend instead to place a small bowl of distilled water (always use distilled water) inside the humidor for five to seven days. I would want to let it stay at about 80% and slowly fall back down to 65%-70% and then work at stabilizing it. And from the very beginning you gotta be certain your hygrometer is accurate. The one that comes installed on the humidor is probably not trustworthy. You'd do better with a $10 household unit from walmart. Tell us everything you've done so far so we can get a better feel for the right advice to offer you from here on out. Welcome to the forum. 
  • Anthony436Anthony436 Posts: 6
    I did calibrate the hygrometer using the salt test. I have also ordered a digital one but hasn't come in yet. I did wipe with distilled water and new sponge and left a shotglass of distilled water in the humidor for 6 hours. It's been a week now and is still sitting at 78%
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it another week.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Have you put cigar in the humidor yet?  If not you should.  The cigars will absorb and help adjust the humidity.  My humidor always reads high and as soon as some cigars go in it starts to lower and stabilize.  I say fill it up with smokes and see what happens.
    I have not yet put any cigars in I was worried about ruining them or getting Beatles but I will try. Thanks. 
    edited May 2018
    .edelrionyc said:
    Have you put cigar in the humidor yet?  If not you should.  The cigars will absorb and help adjust the humidity.  My humidor always reads high and as soon as some cigars go in it starts to lower and stabilize.  I say fill it up with smokes and see what happens.

And, he said fill it upTen smokes ain't enough. 75% or more of your humidor space inside needs to be cigars. The cigars won't need anything (RH) from the wood, and the wood hopefully won't need anything from the cigars. And put three or four 60 gram boveda packets at 65%RH in there and you should be on easy street from here on out. (I like my stash at 65% RH. And three or four Bovedas in that small humidor may be too much but with boveda, too much is way better than trying to figure out what is "just the right amount" plus you'll reach stability much quicker.) 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and beetles' problems are temp-related, not relative humidity.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Will try thanks and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help guys. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Put a bowl of dry rice in there. That will suck up humidity quick.  No way I’d put Cigars in there at 78. 
    Dry ice? Never heard of that trick. Bet that's pretty cool huh? 

dry ice experiment GIF
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Dry ice? Never heard of that trick. Bet that's pretty cool huh? 

dry ice experiment GIF
    Dry rice not ice 😂