Home Non Cigar Related

Tough old bird....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep tellin’ ya, ya can’t bring down a tough, old bird with just one shot. It usually takes a bit more than that. 

For over eighty-one years, now, I’ve been taking whatever this old world could throw at me and I’m still standing. Maybe not as tall and straight as before, but I’m still here. 

On the evening of 5/18, I was sitting on the edge of the bed getting ready to turn in for the night and the next think I knew I woke up in an ambulance. Seems I’d had a minor heart attack and had blacked out and fallen off the bed. The fall caused me to twist a part of my small intestine. 

Long story short, they had to cut out part of my small intestine. The heart attack was so minor the surgeon said he didn’t feel it necessary to even do an angioplasty. I was admitted to the hospital on 5/19 and transferred to the rehab facility on 5/31. I’m still there. 

Just wanted to let you guys know why you haven’t heard from me in a while. Now, for goodness sake, don’t go bundling up a buncha Cigars to ship in my direction. I’ve told you before, I’ve got probably more than I can burn in this lifetime. 

If you feel like you just gotta ship a bunch, send ‘em to Cigars for Warriors or to Big Jim Scott. Either way, they’ll be put o good use. 

Catch ya later, Y’All.......  😎👍

Comments

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that....I hope everything works out for you..... Rest easy.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you’re OK
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, I hope you are well enough to get back home soon.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take care, hope your better soon.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay strong! Pray for quick recovery
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please take care of yourself and your bride.
    Thoughts go out for you bud. 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you are ok
    Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your recent health Marty. Get better soon, buddy.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.  That's just part of why you're so well loved around here.  Keep on.  Hope all is better soon.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our Resident Oldfart is definitely a tough old bird, small intestines are way over rated. Get healed up and get out of there Marty so you can sneak off and smoke a cigar.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're all pulling for you, my friend!  Call if you get bored and need to chat.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts a prayers for a swift recovery. Hope you can get under your own roof soon.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please take care of yourself.  You're one of the few guys older than I am!  ;-)
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you’re on the mend. Hope you’re home soon.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take care, Marty 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the good wishes, gents. They’re sincerely appreciated. 

Cant wait to get walking again and fix myself a cup of Peter’s coffee. Haven’t had a sip since this all went down......
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're OK Marty! Prayers for a speedy recovery. 
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! Hopefully your back up and around brother. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Not yet, Ricky @Rhamlin, but rigorous therapy is underway. I’m guessing another week or so before they let me go home. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta
    it sounds like you are going pretty good.
    That is great to hear.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Rhamlin said:
    Not yet, Ricky @Rhamlin, but rigorous therapy is underway. I’m guessing another week or so before they let me go home. 
    So sorry to hear this news brother. I know it’s the last thing you need right now. You’re in my prayers. 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Marty that sucks. Glad to hear your getting better. Didn't the Beatles do a song "Twist and Shout?" 
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear they are getting you put back together and the ticker keeps on ticking!
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are on the way to recovery and sneaking off to enjoy some peace and quiet with a good cigar.  Healing thoughts heading your way
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5