Home General Discussion

Beginner Maduros

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
My buddy Steven, whom I got into cigar smoking about a year ago, has finally moved away from infused cigars and decided he likes maduros. It's a wonderful day because I no longer have to hear him saying he likes Acid sticks lol. 

Want to send him a fairly good size bomb because he just got a new humidor for regular sticks that needs filled up. What would you guys suggest in the mild-medium range when it comes to maduro wrappers? I've already got him a few AF 8-5-8's because he loved the one he bought along with a few of those last calls by A.J. Fernandez.
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maduro Hemmys are good not to strong. Killer bee ain’t to terribley strong being corona.

Buy him Maduros in corona and he should be able to handle the nicotine is my best advice.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Debonair Maduro is about as smooth a maduro as you will find

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any and all.  Try as many as you can, weed out the ones you do not like.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago, Ok, decades ago, I smoke Baccarat Maduros. Pre-cameroon. LOL!
    They are a decent maduro and usually a pretty good fit for new cigar smokers.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Padron Maduro 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oliva G Maduro.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    CAO Brazilia, and H Upmann Reserve Maduro
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MF Flor de las Antillas Maduro
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give them thar Brickhouse Maduros a try. 
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Maduros don't have to be stronger (nicotine wise). Fermenting a Maduro breaks down nicotine, but of course a lot are blended to be a powerhouse. Good suggestions with AF, Oliva, brick house, brazillia, padron.

Avo maduro is back this year; definitely a more mild maduro. La Palina Black label is very smooth; nice Brazillian wrapper (different than the classic maduro, which I'm sure is good but have not tried). Caldwell eastern standard midnight express. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro (5x50 Box Press) is my favorite of what I've smoked recently.  I think it's kind of the "standard" for what a maduro should be and then everything else tweaks for character.  It's pretty approachable without much to set it apart from others.  A good baseline.

Perdomo 20th Anny Maduro is alright. Certainly full-strong, though.

My favorite quick winter smoke is the Padron Cortico in Maduro.

Davidoff Maduro is simply fantastic.

Camacho Triple Maduro

MOW Armada (get the little coronas; you can't find them on the Armada page, but do a search and they come up.)

CAO Gold Maduro is fairly inexpensive and innocuous if I recall.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undercrown was one of the first maduros I liked. The others I had tried were better in the natural form and I wasn't a maduro fan for a long time.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the many great options, guys! Sorry for starting this topic then running away for a couple of days - got too damn much going on. I'm gonna jot down all of these and do some browsing at my shop Tuesday. Many thanks! I'll be sure to follow up with what he likes :)
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Wait, how could I forget the NUB DUB?!?!

The whole Nub line is kind of a novelty, but they do the Double Maduro right.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.