Home Cigar 101

thinking of making a wineador...

thinking of doing this only because i cant seem to keep consistent temps/humidity in my humidor now...NW Indiana winter sucks... saw this on targets website and was wondering if this one would be good enough to convert?

http://www.target.com/Avanti-mirror-finished-Bottle-Cooler/dp/B0028OZZOM/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Not too familiar with the whole wineador setups, so if there is a particular brand or something to look for...

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I would think it would work just fine as long as you can keep the temp at around 65 degrees. Im sure someone who has it will post soon on it
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think that will work just fine. Let us know how it goes when you start!

"Long ashes my friends."

• I did a little more research on the whole wineador setups, and this one looks like it has a temp range of 46-65... Another thing is humidifiers. Was thinking of a Hydra SM, and maybe beads from heartfelt. Although I here the work excellent, I have never used them and have no idea how much I need...damn, Im still not sure how the even work!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Alright grey here is the deal. I have two wine fridges. Mine are both VinoTemps, which are typically considered the best. However, the one you are looking at would work just fine. All that really matters is that is is thermoelectric and not compressor style. Also you want to make sure that you can get the temp up to at least 65, mine goes to 66.

As far as humidification goes I have a cigar oasis and a lb of beads in each fridge. Both of mine are only 12 bottle fridges so you will need closer to 2 -3 lbs. I put the beads right under the humidification device over top of the drain hole. That way the beads will absorb any water drainage from the peltier device. I also took a wine cork and shaved it down to the size of the drain holeand shoved it in there then took a piece of black electrical tape and stuck it overtop to close up the drain hole.

If you have any other questions on the winefridges feel free to ask away.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    This might be a silly question, but I am trying to understand what the beads actually do. If you have a Cigar Oasis, why do you need the beads as well?
    Also, I live in California and am looking to get a Wineador going as well... The temp will only be a problem in the summer, since we don't really have a winter here in the Bay Area... I found a used one of these and was curious if it would work...http://www.mcappliance.com/productdetailpage.aspx?ModelName=MCWC30MCG
    I figured I'd throw a Cigar Oasis XL plus in there and see how it goes... obviously I am new to the idea of humidifcation (see: bead comment above)
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    We like silly questions here, this place would be boring if it weren't silly. Straight from Heartfelt Industries...
    Heartfelt Industries:
    Heartfelt Beads
    Humidification beads give off water vapor, as well as absorb it, to maintain a specific RH which is ideal for a cigars particular need.
    I'm sure that the addition of the beads will only increase the Oasis' ability to maintain the desired RH.

I hope that answered the bead question.
    nightmaremike31:
    We like silly questions here, this place would be boring if it weren't silly. Straight from Heartfelt Industries...
    Heartfelt Industries:
    Heartfelt Beads
    Humidification beads give off water vapor, as well as absorb it, to maintain a specific RH which is ideal for a cigars particular need.
    I'm sure that the addition of the beads will only increase the Oasis' ability to maintain the desired RH.

So they basically compliment each other... so you don't really NEED both, but having both makes it easier... that makes sense...

So is there anything else that needs to be done to the Wine fridge to make it a Wineador aside from adding Cedar? Does it need to be sealed? I saw the note about plugging a drain hole with a cork.... what else?
    robbyras:
    nightmaremike31:
    Heartfelt Industries:
    Heartfelt Beads

So they basically compliment each other... so you don't really NEED both, but having both makes it easier... that makes sense...

So is there anything else that needs to be done to the Wine fridge to make it a Wineador aside from adding Cedar? Does it need to be sealed? I saw the note about plugging a drain hole with a cork.... what else?
    Right on robby. The Oasis is only able to emit moisture it can't soak up any. The beads do an excellent job absorbing humidity in my experience but not such a good job of emitting it in my experience.

I plugged my drainhole with a shaved down wine cork and stuck a piece of electrical tape over it and placed beads over the plugged drain hole to absorb any drain off from the thermoelectric device. I added cedar to mine and recommend it but it isn't required.
    madurofan:
    robbyras:
    nightmaremike31:
    Heartfelt Industries:
    Heartfelt Beads

Right on robby. The Oasis is only able to emit moisture it can't soak up any. The beads do an excellent job absorbing humidity in my experience but not such a good job of emitting it in my experience.

I plugged my drainhole with a shaved down wine cork and stuck a piece of electrical tape over it and placed beads over the plugged drain hole to absorb any drain off from the thermoelectric device. I added cedar to mine and recommend it but it isn't required.
    Thanks Maduro!

My plan is to get it going and then hit up WaxingMoon for some of those custom trays...

Thanks for the info... i'll put it to good use...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not to hi-jack another persons thread, but how do you guys secure the wood to the inside of the wineador?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Not to hi-jack another persons thread, but how do you guys secure the wood to the inside of the wineador?
    You'd use a Hot Glue gun... no odor, no mess, not caustic!
    P.S. this winefridge is one of the most popular that is out there (it's all over the Cigar Aficionado Forums)

This, I believe, is the same one that WaxingMoon made shelves for...

I've seen it as low as 154.99 on sale and will be purchasing one when it starts to warm up here in Wisconsin

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AW-280E.htm
    I used a Cork from a bottle of Dewar's 18 to plug my hole (heh heh) and I didn't use any cedar to line it, just used the bottoms of old churchill cigar boxes as shelves and some cedar planks that come in boxes of 25

In my BIG fridge I just have alot of boxes in them so the cedar takes care of itself
    Lasabar:
    P.S. this winefridge is one of the most popular that is out there (it's all over the Cigar Aficionado Forums)

This, I believe, is the same one that WaxingMoon made shelves for...

I've seen it as low as 154.99 on sale and will be purchasing one when it starts to warm up here in Wisconsin

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AW-280E.htm
    If you can settle for 18 bottle capacity, Amazon has the 180 model in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001DEQJXE/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=AS6TVQZKR25F1&v=glance

xmacro:
    I used 3M double-sided automotive trim tape
    Sorry to go further into my own question, but what do you use to seal the corners, or where one piece is perpendicular to another? I was thinking of using aquarium sealant since it's odorless and non-toxic (has to be since the fish need to be kept alive)