Home General Discussion

Issues staying lit

TheBeardedOne864TheBeardedOne864 Posts: 180 ✭✭✭✭
Hey Guy so I am having trouble keeping my sticks lit and they are all tasting the same. I believe I am getting the same taste due to smoking to fast trying to keep it lit.  My coolerdor is between 64-67rh and usually 68 degrees or cooler. I smoke outside and it being SC and the weather we have been having it’s pretty humid. Any help on fixing my problem is appreciated.  It’s tough figuring out what I like when it all starts to tast the same. Thanks in advance

Comments

• GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Google "dry boxing".  In the short time I've been here,  I've noticed the humidity here is so high you could probably just leave it out in a safe spot overnight.  Your cigars are too wet for the 70% humidity.. 

*Edit* 
    Forgot to mention,  I've even taken to laying one out overnight then maybe an hour or so before I intended on torching it,  I punch/cut/slice and carry it around chewing and puffing on it until it feels right.  Then again, I may just be weird but it's super humid out here and it's been working wonders  :D
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    humidity is killing me in florida also. I would leave the cigars you want to smoke out of the humidor for a day or two before lighting.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I've found that helps some is I keep my small desk top at 72 rh and transfer what sticks I'll be smoking that week to it.
  • TheBeardedOne864TheBeardedOne864 Posts: 180 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the tips guys. Going to try setting them out the night before and see if that helps.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigars and high humidity don’t usually mix well, really sucks when it gets 90% out where I live. Plus the night time summer smoke spot at the neighborhood pool lol now has electronic key cards and cameras everywhere... highschoolers were going up their getting drunk and trashin everything.

Ive found 42-48 ring gauges burn better in high humidity also, probably cause they burn hotter, correcting the wrapper is still a problem here and there but at least it’s smokeable. Nothing like a ruined smoke session when trying to relax/whine down, drives me nuts!
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    It definitely is frustrating especially being new to this and thinking I was doing something wrong.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to letting the cigar sit outside the humidor, or in a drybox, some have luck letting it "acclimate" if you're smoking outside with a big humidity and temp difference. Just a few minutes to let it adjust to outside conditions before you light.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Thanks @Gray4lines I’ll try this as well. Hoping these tips fix my issue
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve run into that they all taste the same issues before even in ideal conditions. You may be dehydrated. That’s what happened to me. Stay hydrated young man.
    Albinfk said:
    I’ve run into that they all taste the same issues before even in ideal conditions. You may be dehydrated. That’s what happened to me. Stay hydrated young man.
    Will and too that Nasonex a corticosteroid allergy nasal spray or similar will severely mess up the taste of cigars. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Thanks @Albinfk I would have never thought of that. @TX98Z28 thanks for the heads up on that as well
    @TheBeardedOne864, No problem man, just shot 4 squirts of that Nasonex up my nose, outside pressure washing mold off stuff and now I can’t smell $hit! 
  • RootHogRootHog Posts: 21 ✭✭✭
    Glad I found this thread. I keep my humidor at 72rh but after a rain shower the humidity was 81% tonight. Had to touch up a Perdomo way to often. Will let it acclimate next time. 
    A good purge from time to time helped most of my burn problems/issues.
    By purge do you mean blowing through the cigar?
    Yes
    Sorry got busy at work..... When you start to notice big decrease in the smoke on the inhale, blow back gentle though the stick.
    Recently the slow down started happening to me after the ash dropped off toward the last third ( Right about where the band would be ) and this cured it for the most part.
    Also will help even out the burn too. 
    Thanks