Home Ratings & Reviews

Shopping for a Cigar Journal/Notebook

CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ratings & Reviews
So I have a bag of bands that I've saved of the cigars that I liked and wanted to buy again. I was looking through it and I realized I couldn't remember how some of them actually were aside from "good". I want to get a journal that has sections where I can write down what I smoked, what size it was, a rating system, and a place to glue the band. Anyone have recommendations of what they use that's a little more sturdy than a spiral notebook and will hold up for a few years? 

I was thinking of this one just because the size is convenient. http://humidornotes.com 

Comments

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here on Cigar.com in the accessories section, then choose other, and go down and click page three, then look for the Cigar Dossier. I actually have this and like it.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one is backordered, it's held up for you though? It isn't falling apart after owning it for a while? 
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mines not falling apart, I have had it a year and a half, must confess, I don't use it as much as I did, but I do like it.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not go the route of a virtual journal, create a word document and add whatever else you would like(Size, notes, duration of smoke, age of smoke, etc). Then place a picture of the band directly on the document. You can store them conviently on a file to access anytime.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or an excel spreadsheet so you could sort by size, wrapper, age, whatever.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

That was my first thought but you couldn’t add a picture. But I might do a spreadsheet for myself ( as picture isn’t necessary for me).

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    That was my first thought but you couldn’t add a picture. But I might do a spreadsheet for myself ( as picture isn’t necessary for me).
    Some people can add a picture, but not me... :(

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

I also don't have microsoft word or excel. I could use google docs to do all that but it would take a while and I'd have to be by my computer when I was smoking it. I think I'm going to get the one I linked to, it's 3 little 3 by 5 journals that I could fit into my herfador or pocket. 
    edited June 2018
    NorCalR1 said:
    Some people can add a picture, but not me... :(
    Would make it cumbersome IMHO. I like the sort ability of an excel spreadsheet myself. That’s how I store my forum targets. I mean addresses... 

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    Open Office. Open source office suite.
    https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Open Office Calc is the equivelant of Excel and will save as so.
    You can insert images in the cells with no problems.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience said:
    NorCalR1 said:

So if I save a word document and email it to someone, they'll be able to open it in microsoft word with no issues?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    NorCalR1 said:

So if I save a word document and email it to someone, they'll be able to open it in microsoft word with no issues?
    Yes. you can save it to .odt or.doc formats.
    .doc has a couple choices and when you save, you click on the format you want and it will list the Word97 and other Word formats. All .doc files.

I use Open Office Office Suite for all my Word, Excel and power point.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    @CalvinAndHobo

I've been using an app called Cigar Scanner.  Just changed phones and everything showed up and didn't lose a thing.  Kept all my notes as well.

I have each humidor set up and listed with the cigars that are in them.  It even estimates the value in each humidor.  

It's about 75% on having a photo of the cigar and label but you can take a picture and store it.  

I found I was more apt to record one if I'm out & picked one up.

Mark
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just stumbled upon this; don't always have time to fully explore the forum with my work schedule these days. I'm currently using a nice leather journal which I purchased from Walmart for less than $4. It's about 6"x10".

While I don't glue my bands to the pages, I do have a system including stock number (A for my Fuente Humidor, B for the cooler), brand, size and vitola, blend, price, and purchase/trade location. Then I just leave a few lines blank for notes. This system allows me to keep inventory of my stock for aging and trade purposes. Anytime someone wants to know if I have a certain stick, I just flip through the book. 

I do like those dossier journals though. It's basically the same setup I use, just a different layout.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome.  If you fill in some of the info when you first get a cigar, it'll save a few steps and you won't have to label each cigar with a date.  Maybe you could start using all three books and have the cigars entered alphabetically; book#1 A-E, book#2 F-M, book#3 N-Z... or something like that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    That's awesome.  If you fill in some of the info when you first get a cigar, it'll save a few steps and you won't have to label each cigar with a date.  Maybe you could start using all three books and have the cigars entered alphabetically; book#1 A-E, book#2 F-M, book#3 N-Z... or something like that.
    The plan right now is to enter them as I smoke them, because I can usually remember a general time frame of when I had a cigar and use that memory to find the right page. Also, I'm sure I'd mess something up alphabetically over time in terms of not having enough pages before or after a letter like p and having to put something that starts with o in the wrong spot. I've also changed some of the categories to something else. "food" is going to become "Time" (ex: 7:00pm) and "Weather" is going to become "Draw". and I'm going to score everyone on a 0-100 scale for things like burn and draw so there's a uniform system. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Granted, your young memory is better than mine, but it'll get harder to remember things as your inventory grows.  

What about writing a page number at the top of each page and keeping an index of what cigar is on what page so that when you see a deal pop up somewhere and want to find your review, you don't have to flip through each book looking for it?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Granted, your young memory is better than mine, but it'll get harder to remember things as your inventory grows.  

What about writing a page number at the top of each page and keeping an index of what cigar is on what page so that when you see a deal pop up somewhere and want to find your review, you don't have to flip through each book looking for it?
    I may have to do that at some point in the future. We'll see how it goes. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking I might throw together a journal similar to the ones shown above using Microsoft. Would anyone have an interest? They'd be much cheaper than what these are going for.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Linux user, so I just use Libre, post my general thoughts with a photo:

Then I take the cigar band and glue it to a painted canvas in a collage. When the canvas is full, I start another one. I don't know if it's "good" art since that's always subjective, but I own the memories.

What do you think?

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the same to my herfador. It's about 4 layers thick now