Home Non Cigar Related

Warranty value when it takes weeks to get replaced

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
So my father's day gift was this Traeger grill. 
It was supposed to be something we could have a big barbecue and enjoy this weekend.
Last weekend, we were making beef jerky and the POS grill decided to melt down.
Something happened and the auger went into overdrive. So we call their service number and they tell us it's covered. No $hit, it was a week old.

So back and forth emails, sending them pictures and all, I get an email the other day saying they will ship out a replacement right away. 
Ok, I guess I can live with that.
Today, I get an email that it will ship in the next 24-48 hours and take 7-10 working days after that.
So now, not only is father's day a bust, but I'll be lucky to have it on the 4th of July.
I might have to go buy another grill and just return this POS grill and return the replacement.

Pretty sure the next grill we buy won't be the brand we bought.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Businesses sure do have a hard time with customer service. They should have at least offered expidited shipping. Hope it arrives soon, Tony

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend had his traeger do something similar and experienced the same slow but full replacement customer service. In the interim he went out and got one of the other brand pellet grills for a lower price and it has actually performed better.  He returned the replacement traeger for a full refund and is quite pleased with the "lesser" brand
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind with the Traeger grills is that they only work with their own pellets and using other pellets can void your warranty.  I ended up going with the Pitt Boss 700 series pellets grill and have been pretty happy with it, except that one of the grill grates came with the protective coating scraped off.  They shipped a replacement that was in worse shape and had food burnt on to it but then made it right with a new grates and some dry rubs.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Traeger made up in your neck of the woods Tony, probably won't take long to get it but surely not by Sunday.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way to made it work manually?

I stick with my old charcoal smoker..... Never let me down in 25 years. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Isn't Traeger made up in your neck of the woods Tony, probably won't take long to get it but surely not by Sunday.
    Utah or something. 
    Half these places take forever to ship anything, especially warranty stuff.
    Trying to be optimistic, but I'm a cynic. 

ForMud said:
    No way to made it work manually?

I stick with my old charcoal smoker..... Never let me down in 25 years. 
    Can possibly make it work, but with no way to control how hot it gets, it'd be dicey.
    Plus, I just don't want to deal with it at all now.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, see they used to be out of Portland(was thinking McMinville) but now out of Salt Lake
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    Ok, see they used to be out of Portland(was thinking McMinville) but now out of Salt Lake
    I wish they were in McMinnville, I'd take the damn thing there and get it swapped out.
    But they are probably like every other business that starts up in Oregon, they get to a point where they are big enough, that the state taxes them and regulates them to a point where it's less expensive to be in another state.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pellet cookers the Yoders are the way to go.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great grill, the Yoder is.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great grill, the Yoder is.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    @avengethis
    But they are huge.
    I bought this Traeger POS, cause it was little and I can take it to the Lake, beach or camping.

Those look like what I should look at when we go to buy a grill for home.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I love mine.  I have the YS 640 and can cook for large enough groups but easy enough to run for a small meal, also the ability to use grill grates and gril and sear on it is really nice as well.  The downside is have to use a trailer to get it to locations but thats not the worst thing.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @0patience, I think that @avengethis would be happy to give you a demo at the WI/MKE Herf this weekend.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    @0patience, I think that @avengethis would be happy to give you a demo at the WI/MKE Herf this weekend.
    Unfortunately, that is a little far for a quick drive.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    @0patience.  Look at the Rectec grill.  They have one that folds up and can't take with you.  The are a more substantial build than the Traegers and I can cook 3 baby back ribs on it at one time.  Never faulted in 4 years.
    I'll have to take a look at that one. I have to buy a pellet grill for my son, so I might just give him mine and see about the Rectec.
    I made a deal with my boys that if they can make it a year out of my house, I would buy them a good grill.
    He has, so now I have to follow thru. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Haha, worth every penny.....getting them out of the house.

They are made out of much heavier gauge of steel.  Pretty thick walls.  Back home we built a fire on the ground and shoveled in coals for 12 - 14 hour (&drinking beer) to smoke some briskets.  Now I feel guilty everytime I cook on the Rectec