Home Ratings & Reviews

Casa Magna Colorado

Has anyone tried one of these? It was the CA #1 cigar of the year for 08 and in the top 10 for 09 as well... I've been looking for a while and finally found them at a local B&M. I grabbed a couple today and am looking forward to giving them a try... they smell like, well, like something that smells REALLY good...

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    damn! it was discussed last month... why am I so lazy?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    Has anyone tried one of these? It was the CA #1 cigar of the year for 08 and in the top 10 for 09 as well... I've been looking for a while and finally found them at a local B&M. I grabbed a couple today and am looking forward to giving them a try... they smell like, well, like something that smells REALLY good...
    If your local B&M has them, you're lucky. They're pretty hard to come by because they're made in very small batches. 'Awesome' is the best word to describe them.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    lilwing88:
    robbyras:
    If your local B&M has them, you're lucky. They're pretty hard to come by because they're made in very small batches. 'Awesome' is the best word to describe them.
    you have a PM
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    My local B&M has them. It didn't live up to the hype for me. It was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but the hype made me expect more. Just my .02
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'd give it an "awesome" rating too. Smoked this while hunting some birds in Gettysburg wished I had another as soon as I was finished. I really dig a colorado wrapper.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I think it is a very good smoke but I think it was the cigar of the year based on the good qualities and the cheap price point. Unfortunately I have already seen the price increase by atleast $2 per stick at my B&M. I hate that when cigars score well or get honored they automatically raise the price. Very good smoke though, but with the steady increase in price I won't have them in my everyday rotation. I would rather spend $7 or $8 on a typical $7 or $8 stick, but not for 1 that was $5 to begin with.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    I think it is a very good smoke but I think it was the cigar of the year based on the good qualities and the cheap price point. Unfortunately I have already seen the price increase by atleast $2 per stick at my B&M. I hate that when cigars score well or get honored they automatically raise the price. Very good smoke though, but with the steady increase in price I won't have them in my everyday rotation. I would rather spend $7 or $8 on a typical $7 or $8 stick, but not for 1 that was $5 to begin with.
    I would have to agree...the AB Tempus robusto went from a $7 to a $9.75 cigar as soon as it get that 94 rating. Makes me thankful that I bought a few before the price hike...i wonder how many cigars they sell before and after the rating.

"Long ashes my friends."

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yup, crap if you ask me. Ratings are BS anyway at least to me.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Duder2:
    My local B&M has them. It didn't live up to the hype for me. It was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but the hype made me expect more. Just my .02

Same here. Was good though.  That's another problem with ratings, I get all hyped up and the cigars are usually good but I expect too much, and dull the experience for myself.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Stryker808:
    Duder2:

Same here. Was good though.  That's another problem with ratings, I get all hyped up and the cigars are usually good but I expect too much, and dull the experience for myself.
    I still wanna try the maduro version that the B&M got in recently, they look very nice and I generally dig maduro's.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have the torpedo on Saturday. The 1st half was really good. Reminded me of a poor mans Decade, Alsom maybe a little like the Padilla 48. But it wasnt nearly as good if that makes any sense. It was tasty, but didnt really think it was anywhere near the price tag. I know the rating was on a different vitola, but this one wasnt worthy of a ++ rating. The second half really didnt do it for me as it blew out my pallette and blew me away with nicotine (didnt eat any lunch before having this cigar).
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I had one of these recently and was not overly impressed. It was a solid cigar... decent flavors, great construction. But I just wasn't blown away by the flavors. I'd smoke more, especialy at the price (I picked mine up for $5.25) but I wont rush out and buy a box. a solid smoke for the money though...
    I didnt get mine for such a deal. I was at a cigar bar and paid over $10. Actually someone bought it for me so it was free but the prices were supremely escalated with limited selection there.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm right there with you on this. I like some cigars that carry an 87 rating and don't like some cigars that carry a 93 or so. Had a Padilla Miami the other day, it was just OK.

The buzz around the Casa Magna is that they paid a TON of ad money to CA right before the Cigar of the Year vote and voila, it's the number one.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm right there with you on this. I like some cigars that carry an 87 rating and don't like some cigars that carry a 93 or so. Had a Padilla Miami the other day, it was just OK.

The buzz around the Casa Magna is that they paid a TON of ad money to CA right before the Cigar of the Year vote and voila, it's the number one.
    The new Padilla Miami is not the same as the Miami that received the high rating. The original one was made by Pepin, the new one is not. Not that I'm saying that ratings aren't crap. Just speaking to the Miami.
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

The new Padilla Miami is not the same as the Miami that received the high rating. The original one was made by Pepin, the new one is not. Not that I'm saying that ratings aren't crap. Just speaking to the Miami.
    I haven't had either but did the pepin blend say pepin or is this sort of a need to know thing?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I found a B&M near me that carries plenty of Casa Magnas in a few vitolas....... Seein as how you all aren't so impressed, I guess that means more for me! LOL!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

I haven't had either but did the pepin blend say pepin or is this sort of a need to know thing?
    It had a different band. The old band was black and red and popped more than the current one. I honestly don't see why people make such a distinction between the old and new, the way I hear it, and I may have heard it wrong, is that Ernesto Padilla blended the cigar and Pepin produced it. Whatever the story is, I think the current Miami is as good as the old Miami...that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

It had a different band. The old band was black and red and popped more than the current one. I honestly don't see why people make such a distinction between the old and new, the way I hear it, and I may have heard it wrong, is that Ernesto Padilla blended the cigar and Pepin produced it. Whatever the story is, I think the current Miami is as good as the old Miami...that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
    I'm a bit of a freak here with the Miami's. I have never liked them from the get go. I also do NOT enjoy the RP Decades either. I have tried them a half dozen times, (cause, yes I am that stubborn) and every time they leave me wondering what people see in them.

I did enjy a Casa Magna that I had shortly after they first came out. Guess it wasn't "all that" tho, since I haven't tried to score anymore since. I would definately give them another go.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

I'm a bit of a freak here with the Miami's. I have never liked them from the get go. I also do NOT enjoy the RP Decades either. I have tried them a half dozen times, (cause, yes I am that stubborn) and every time they leave me wondering what people see in them.

I did enjy a Casa Magna that I had shortly after they first came out. Guess it wasn't "all that" tho, since I haven't tried to score anymore since. I would definately give them another go.
    Hey Laker...have you tried the Decade torpedo? To me that is the best Decade RP makes, I have tried others but the torpedo is much better than the other sizes (IMO)

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

Hey Laker...have you tried the Decade torpedo? To me that is the best Decade RP makes, I have tried others but the torpedo is much better than the other sizes (IMO)
    Yeah, I am actually sitting on some that were sent out by mistake by C.Com. I kept them to try yet again, and again I didn't think much of them. So I am sitting on like 9 of the Torp's. Anyone got any interesting offers for a half dozen of them?
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

Yeah, I am actually sitting on some that were sent out by mistake by C.Com. I kept them to try yet again, and again I didn't think much of them. So I am sitting on like 9 of the Torp's. Anyone got any interesting offers for a half dozen of them?

Ive had Decades fresh out of the mail and Decades with a year on them. I like them both, but feel that a Decade with a year + on it is a Fantastic Cigar. Give those sticks a rest and try them again I say, try them again, try them, try them and you may like them.
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

Ive had Decades fresh out of the mail and Decades with a year on them. I like them both, but feel that a Decade with a year + on it is a Fantastic Cigar. Give those sticks a rest and try them again I say, try them again, try them, try them and you may like them.
    Yeah, I just pulled the trigger on a trade for most of them, so I may just sit on the rest for a while, or I may trade these away too. I have given these a fair shot but I think it is the flavor profile that I just don't like.
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

Yeah, I just pulled the trigger on a trade for most of them, so I may just sit on the rest for a while, or I may trade these away too. I have given these a fair shot but I think it is the flavor profile that I just don't like.
    I will give them a good home!
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

Those are dyed.... not a bad cigar but I hate supporting these practices.
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

Ive heard that he dyed the Maduro's, but I didnt think the decades were being dyed. Is this confirmed anywhere. Ive had plenty of decades and never had any dye rub off on my hands or lips.

phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

What's so bad about dying the leaf? It's still a real maduro leaf just dyed for color consistency. I'm a fan of all natural coloring myself, but I honestly don't see why it matters that much.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    dennisking:
    phobicsquirrel:

What's so bad about dying the leaf? It's still a real maduro leaf just dyed for color consistency. I'm a fan of all natural coloring myself, but I honestly don't see why it matters that much.
    To me, a cigar (that I would like to smoke) is something (in my mind) that is a natural thing from the soil of this planet and manufactured by skilled hands and not "messed" with.
    KCW:
    j0z3r:
    To me, a cigar (that I would like to smoke) is something (in my mind) that is a natural thing from the soil of this planet and manufactured by skilled hands and not "messed" with.
    I just figure as long as the dye doesn't affect how it tastes, then it shouldn't matter that much. If that's one of the reasons why you wouldn't smoke a certain cigar then more power to you, it's your choice after all, but for me if a cigar is good then I don't care that much is they touched up the color of the leaf with dye. I guess it's all about where we draw our particular line in the sand between what is acceptable for each of us.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    KCW:
    j0z3r:
    I just figure as long as the dye doesn't affect how it tastes, then it shouldn't matter that much. If that's one of the reasons why you wouldn't smoke a certain cigar then more power to you, it's your choice after all, but for me if a cigar is good then I don't care that much is they touched up the color of the leaf with dye. I guess it's all about where we draw our particular line in the sand between what is acceptable for each of us.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand there are "things" that are done for one reason or another and I don't believe that (as long as its a vegetable dye or something comsumeable) it would keep me from smoking one either. The only line I have in the sand right now is I won't smoke anything I can get at the 7/11. I'm just in my little cigar "Happy Place" thinking these things are made with love,care & skill (since we pay so much for some of them). After all its someone's job to makes them. Its our pleasure to smoke them.