Home Cigar 101

Need help fixing husbands humidor!

ReeseTX12ReeseTX12 Posts: 10
The sponge thing in my husbands humidor has dried up and I’d like to fix it for him while he’s out of town. He works a lot and hasn’t really had time to do anything with it. Here are some pics of it, if anyone knows what I should order or do I’d greatly appreciate it. 
Tagged:

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Wipe down the whole interior with DISTILLED WATER, don't soak just wipe it down. 
    Then put the sponge thingys in distilled water to soak for a few seconds. You don't want them dripping when you put them back in the humidor. Let it sit for 24 hours and take an RH reading.

At this point there will be variables (nothing big) and get back to us :)
  • ReeseTX12ReeseTX12 Posts: 10
    How do I take an RH reading?

How do I get the mold cleaned out without hurting the humidor?
    As far as the Bóveda packets go, how many does it need? How many grams? I’m seeing all sorts of options on amazon but not sure which ones to buy. 
    Thank y’all for the help! I really appreciate this, I obviously have no idea what I’m doing lol 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    ReeseTX12 said:
    How do I take an RH reading?
    Zederkoff Hygrometer Square 
    Available on Ccom or Amazon.

Edit: Just noticed the hygrometer on the front of the humidor.
    It might and it might not work, so it would be hard to judge from it.

ReeseTX12 said:

As far as the Bóveda packets go, how many does it need? How many grams? I’m seeing all sorts of options on amazon but not sure which ones to buy. 
    Personally, I like Boveda 65% packs. Others may chime in with the ones they prefer and why. Four 60 gram packs should be plenty sufficient for that humidor.

ReeseTX12 said:
    How do I get the mold cleaned out without hurting the humidor?

I prefer to use a product called Pure Green 24 Disinfectant. Oderless, non-toxic and kills mold well and not terribly expensive. 

Then use distilled water, as was mentioned to lightly wipe down the humidor after it is cleaned. If it seems wet to the touch, let it air out and dry a bit.
    It shouldn't be wet to the touch.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Thank y’all so much! I’ll get right on it! 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get him a few cigars to put in that too, be a superhero.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You deserve praise and credit for your efforts to refurbish hubby's moldy humidor. These wooden humidors are not simple to maintain. Things can go wrong and most people don't even realize when something bad starts happening.

• Is your husband a member here? If so what's his screen name?  
    • I'm in agreement with @0patience on what you should do and I will add my two cents. After you get rid of the mold with the pure green, make sure the cleaner is wiped off or rinsed off completely and let the humidor dry out real good. (put a fan directly on it for a day or so.)  Also Walmart has some household hygrometer/thermometer combos that would be acceptable in my opinion for recording your RH levels.  ThermoPro TP50 or  AcuRite 00325 both under ten bucks
    • Do any of you regular members notice the interior of the humidor is painted black? I don't think I've ever seen that. https://www.cheaphumidors.com/dakota-120-count-black-cigar-humidor.html 
    • Well, after reading the following description, Please note: the Dakota is not lined in cedar. The tray is made of mahogany and covered in an odorless black stain. Does this mean it will not require re-seasoning? 

@Bob_Luken
    I was wondering about the black interior of the humidor.
    And why would they use mahogany?
    Seems to me that mahogany would make a terrible humi interior wood.
    I mean, it would be stable in the interior of the humidor, but it would be terrible at helping regulate moisture.
    Which may be exactly why it shows signs of mold.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I watched the video on that website and the audio description says "lined in kiln dried spanish cedar" without mentioning the interior paint at all. Not sure which description to believe. Or whether to believe either description. Maybe it's lacquer finish on spanish cedar.  
    Thank you Bob! I made this account for him and when he gets back from work he will be using the account. (It’s a surprise) I ordered the packets and cleaner and they will be here just in time for his birthday this Friday!

i added some more pics of his Humidor so y’all can better see what it’s made of. I didn’t pay very much for it when I bought it years ago.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm thinking that Spanish Cedar is another name for mahogany, I think that was in a Kuzi link, long ago.  Thought that black was weird, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Definitely mold.
    Needs to be cleaned thoroughly, but to be honest, it would make a better watch box, than a humidor.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I'm thinking that Spanish Cedar is another name for mahogany, I think that was in a Kuzi link, long ago.  Thought that black was weird, too.
    Black is very weird. At first it didn't actually catch my eye but then it just hit me all at once. "Holy crap! That thing's black on the inside!" And about the mahogany. I'm remembering something like that too.  I think I read it online somewhere that SC was a type of mahogany. And this humidor is probably regular old spanish cedar, painted black. The grain looks like all of the normally spanish cedar lined humidors I've ever seen. I just can't get over the fact that somebody thought it was a good idea to paint it. And that forces me to consider whether the paint or lacquer is porous. If it is then we would advise her to re-season it (after the mold is removed).  If it isn't porous, then re-seasoning is not a big deal or hardly necessary To be safe, I suppose I would just go ahead and re-season. 
    I don’t know a think about humidors or cigars lol But i bought this from a cigar bar/shop about 8? 9? Years ago, paid like $100 for it. I don’t know the manufacturer but I’m assuming a colored interior isn’t normal? I wonder why this one is painted. 

And Dougie (The pug, age 10) assumes everything I open is holding treats! He is most certainly a foodie! Lol
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be a alcohol based aniline dye instead of paint. 
    Hey everybody I’m here and just seen everything my wife got me. I’m definitely no expert but I do see why it would be strange to paint the inside 
    Hope the Mrs. got you setup bro.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ReeseTX12 said:
    Hey everybody I’m here and just seen everything my wife got me. I’m definitely no expert but I do see why it would be strange to paint the inside 
    The wood needs to breathe to function properly, and painting would interfere w/ that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    ReeseTX12 said:
    The wood needs to breathe to function properly, and painting would interfere w/ that.
    Unless it's just a leather dye similar to what is used on pipes
    peter4jc said:
    ReeseTX12 said:
    Unless it's just a leather dye similar to what is used on pipes
    Dye or paint, I don't see any good in either one.
    Either one is not what I would consider good for wood to absorb moisture.The dye fills the pores of the wood, which would normally be taken up by moisture. With most of the pores filled will dye, there is little room for the wood to maintain any kind of balance.

Paint on the other hand would seal the pores, not allowing moisture to get it.

If the finish is smooth, then it is likely paint/sealer.
    If the finish has raised grain, then probably dye. 

Both, in my eyes, is not helpful for our intended purposes.

There generally is a reason why most manufacturers do not finish interior wood on humidors.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited June 2018
    Welcome to the forum Sir. There's another recent thread where I and several others assert that a wooden humidor is not a necessity. here's a link to that discussion.  
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/899413/first-humidor-how-to-pick#latest
    So if you are worried about the black paint on your current humidor or even if you just don't want to spend time cleaning the mold, you can find a different method to store your cigars.   
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome to the forum Sir. There's another recent thread where I and several others assert that a wooden humidor is not a necessity. here's a link to that discussion.  
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/899413/first-humidor-how-to-pick#latest
    So if you are worried about the black paint on your current humidor or even if you just don't want to spend time cleaning the mold, you can find a different method to store your cigars.   
    Search "Cooler" "Tuppador" or check this page out.
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/277391/look-what-you-guys-have-done-to-me-cool-a-dor-filled-now-pics
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Welcome to the forum @ReeseTX12 , have you got the latest newsletter? I think I have a couple copies laying around. PM (private message) an address and I will get it right out to you. Click on that pile of dirt icon then click the message link,  the message link is crucial, believe me.
    A little dirt never hurt