Home Non Cigar Related

Quick way to dry logs?

Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
I'm trying to get into a new hobby and was wondering if anyone knows a quick way to dry some logs? I want to start by trying to make some river resin coasters and a river resin ashtray from them...Eventually I'd like to work my way up to a river resin table.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build your own kiln dryer. A small shed and a fan and heater.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I really like those tables. I've watched a ton of those videos.
    https://youtu.be/rYTI-p6VaRQ

Personally, I'd like to do a few of these "inlay" tables.

https://youtu.be/5uEyf7MRriw

https://youtu.be/W6MzEVmxdIU
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Same.. I love them....I figured it'd be cool to make a few cigar ashtrays with them, and a few coasters... I've always wanted to get into woodcrafting/working and this just gives me a reason to start doing that.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in the NC mountains it takes about a year to air dry a 1" thick piece of wood. Instead of trying to dry a whole log, rip slabs about a inch thick. Coat the ends with some sort of sealer and stack the ripped pieces up with small stickers to separate them. Some sort of kiln will speed up the process or if the pieces are small the dashboard of a truck or car will work.  If I was putting together wood with a resin I would want the wood to be about 7% moisture content. Good Luck and have some fun.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I have one? :)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fireplace 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    A fireplace 
    SMDH
    A little dirt never hurt
    I need to get a router (for some simple routing work)... I probably won't get started anything until after I get back from Greece...
    I need to get a router (for some simple routing work)... I probably won't get started anything until after I get back from Greece...
    Check into compact routers too.
    I have a full size router with 100 bits and a compact router.
    I probably use the compact the most.
    Mostly cause it's easier to handle and most what I do is round over and stuff like that. 

Not really a carpenter, but not a fan of sharp wood edges or splinters. :wink:
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    Mostly cause it's easier to handle and most what I do is round over and stuff like that. 

I was definitely considering a compact router. Any particular one that you'd recommend? Until now, I've always used my brother-in-law's...
    0patience said:

I was definitely considering a compact router. Any particular one that you'd recommend? Until now, I've always used my brother-in-law's...
    I have a Makita and Rigid compact routers.
    I use the Rigid the most. 
    If you keep an eye out, you can find refurbished units at pretty good deals.

Milwaukee would probably be my choice if I could find a compact router made by them that I like. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: