Home General Discussion

Seeking Opinions - I need quality lighter!

First off, I'm new here so I'd like to say hello to everyone.

I have a Vector Radar triple jet lighter. I LOVE it.
However, I've had to send it in for repairs 3 times in the last 2 years.
No, I'm not inexperienced in lighter maintenance and repair. In fact, I know exactly what is wrong with it every time it needs fixed. And I have fixed my own lighters many many times.
That being said, I know my Radar isn't needing sent in so often because of my human error.

I dont mind sending it in when needed but that leaves me with a crappy dollar store lighter for unknown lengths of time. Which I HATE.

I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for a 2nd lighter.

I need a butane 3 or more jets. 
Due to the fact that I am using lighters for cigarettes not only cigars, I wouldn't have use for a table top lighter.

I've only ever had the 1 Vector Radar as far as high class lighters, that's why I'm asking for opinions.

THANKS 
Tagged:

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I like Xikar stuff and have had very good luck with them over the past 7 or 8 years. Only sent in 1 after 6 or so years and received a brand new (Xikar ex crossover that's discontinued) a week later.

I still have that old Xikar and the newer allume single jet and both have been great.  The allume does come in a triple jet, but it's a little large (3.5" by 2.4") and is technically a tabletop. The double jet is smaller and is what I would recommend, although you're looking for a 3x jet.  Just my opinion, but anything more than 2x jets is redundant.  Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum!

Edit: I see there is a Xikar 3x called the Trezo. I haven't used one...anyone know about these?

https://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/trezo/

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Kittenrose182Kittenrose182 Posts: 4
    Xikar's are REALLY expensive.....
    I'm not looking to cheap out or anything but I sure was going to spend that kind of $ for one until I heard from a xikar owner and got their personal opinion.
    Thanks!

Any other opinions would be great too. When I've decided on a lighter I'll let everyone know so people dont waste time typing out a response to my thread.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bic. Matches. Both work real well, are easy to use, cheap and are easy to find. And you can throw them away when you are done with them.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar's are REALLY expensive.....
    I'm not looking to cheap out or anything but I sure was going to spend that kind of $ for one until I heard from a xikar owner and got their personal opinion.
    Thanks!

Any other opinions would be great too. When I've decided on a lighter I'll let everyone know so people dont waste time typing out a response to my thread.
    I won't argue that. But the lifetime warranty makes it worth it for me. They are pretty tough as it is though; one went through the washer and came out still working.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for the Xikar Tech.  It'll be ~$10 more than what I'm seeing the Vector Radar sell for online, but worth it IMO.   And... if you live near a B&M that sells Xikar, you can swap your kaput lighter for a new one, no matter where you bought the original... no more sending it in when it's wonky.

I agree w/ Gray, that more than a double is not necessary.  I also think everyone here has more than one good lighter so we have something to fall back on when the favorite goes south.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Look for the Xikar Tech.  It'll be ~$10 more than what I'm seeing the Vector Radar sell for online, but worth it IMO.   And... if you live near a B&M that sells Xikar, you can swap your kaput lighter for a new one, no matter where you bought the original... no more sending it in when it's wonky.

I agree w/ Gray, that more than a double is not necessary.  I also think everyone here has more than one good lighter so we have something to fall back on when the favorite goes south.
    I like triple, it's the coolness factor. Lol
    And I use it to heat up nails to punch holes in nylon straps for my collar making business.

I live in northern Michigan. There are cigar shops in the 2 cities nearest me but I xikar website didnt find any dealers near me.☹
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home depot.
    Bernzomatic mini torch. 
    Never fails. Also has a soft flame setting.
    Either that or pay the money and get a xikar.
    With lighters, I've found that you get what you pay for.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Now I know you're making all this up just to string us along!  How can a triple torch heat up a nail faster than a double; with such a broad area of heat a portion of the triple flame will be blowing right past the nail.  C'mon man, who do you think you're dealing with here?

<wink>
    peter4jc said:
    Now I know you're making all this up just to string us along!  How can a triple torch heat up a nail faster than a double; with such a broad area of heat a portion of the triple flame will be blowing right past the nail.  C'mon man, who do you think you're dealing with here?

<wink>
    The jet flames are really close together.
    And I've never had a 2 jet lighter before so I cant compare the two

I was thinking about getting a mini torch as well as a 3 or more jet lighter.
    But I'm not educated in various Brand qualities.

It would be awesom if I could run through a store and physically pick up and light a bunch of different lighters. But sadly, the nearest smoke shops have limited variety and they dont let people test out the expensive lighters.😶
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was trying @IndustMech's Cigar Turrim dual jet all weekend at the MKE Herf, now I've ordered one, but it's big.

I've been happy with my Bugatti CEO lighters, but I know others have reported getting only five lights out of a refill.  I get much better performance from mine.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Xikar 5x64 Turrim Double Lighter, and I like it a lot. It was a little pricey... I had to send it in for repairs, once, but it's been working fine since. They make a single flame version as well.

The Xikar Tech is a nice lighter too

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I was trying @IndustMech's Cigar Turrim dual jet all weekend at the MKE Herf, now I've ordered one, but it's big.

I've been happy with my Bugatti CEO lighters, but I know others have reported getting only five lights out of a refill.  I get much better performance from mine.
    Don't think I had to refill it over that weekend spite all the use it got.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check cigarbid or cigarauctioneer for xikar lighters. They have great deals
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Xikar double torch and it has been well used with no problems. ST Dupont makes a solid lighter, If you price them out the Xikar will sound like a good deal
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vector makes a decently built triple. It won't win any beauty contests but they work well. With the bonus of being very inexpensive
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar are hands down the best (have never tried St Dupont $$$$).  For backups check out the auction sites.  I got a couple of the Colibri Firebird triple flame torches for like $7.  Work great
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    IMHO a guy needs a small fleet of lighters to perform different tasks and to be stowed in different locations etc. And I am very fond of Xikar lighters.

But, if I had to get by on only one of my lighters, I'd go with my Bugatti CEO. I got one as a freebie or I would never have discovered how well I like this lighter. Bought a second one too.

On the plus side it is a triple flame where the jets are aimed slightly inboard, creating a reasonably precise flame for both toasting and touch-ups. It has a built-in punch with a generous size hole. Also has a fuel window so you know when it's getting low. (A fine idea would be to have two Bugatti CEO lighters because you could keep one fueled up and ready, while you are running the other one until fully empty.)  

On the negative side it has been proven that if you drop one of these on concrete, it's mechanical vulnerabilities and weaknesses shall be revealed.   Chris (AKA @Yakster) and I have both repaired triggers on these lighters after dropping them. Here's a link to a thread where Chris shows how to repair the trigger.  
     https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/898553/repairing-bugatti-ceo-lighter-trigger
    But I am having flame troubles on the one I dropped that I cannot figure out, yet.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Have two Xikar lighters coming, went with the Forte single jet and also their Forte soft flame. Also bought a Vertigo quad flame it was cheap. Will update how I like them when they arrive.

Ive been quite happy with the Vertigo Bullet dual flame I’ve had for years, has a built in punch think it was $20 and still works fine. The Rockwell sonic torch and another cheap one bit the dust a week ago but lasted about a solid 3 years. Honestly the Sonic Torch is a good lighter for the money, flame doesn’t blow out easy but finally stepped up my game and went with Xikar. Hope this helps others in decision making.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Wow, those Fortes are not cheap, are they?
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Wow, those Fortes are not cheap, are they?
    Not cheap at all but wanted some quality accessories after getting every cent out of the old ones, the Phantom cutter was even more LOL
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    I get it.  Rather have a few great lighters than a dozen mediocre ones.

I guess my overall response to the OP is stop being cheap, buy a few good lighters, buy a torch designed for your collar making business, and be happy.

Cigars isn't a hobby/endeavor to be enjoyed on the cheap - spend the money, do it right.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭