Home General Discussion

Pelican Humidor conversion.

BlueB3BlueB3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
So a couple weeks ago, a local guy was selling these cases for STUPID cheap, and I ended up picking them all up lol. I decided to try and make a back up humidor out of one, as it's the same concept as a tupp-idor, but in a fancier case. The orange ones are Pelican 1500's, and only have the foam on the inside of the lid. Green ones are some military spec case with no foam.  Broke down some cigar boxes from my local B&M to make a floor and some dividers. 

However, due to the shape of the sides, the outer pieces don't want to stick too well, and there's gaps at the corners/top. I'm thinking either some bead trimarounf the top/down the corners, or just rip it out and say screw it, but leave the floor in. For reference, those are 2 Oliva G Churchill boxes on the right, and a CAO 770 box on the left. 

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me I would not bother with the boxes/wood at all, but that's just me.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran with something similar for a while. The xikar 40 is smaller, black and came with 3 foam layers with troughs for cigars. I ditched the foam since it severely cut capacity, as I'm guessing the boxes will do for you. Before you do anything, seal up a refrigerator deodorizer box of baking soda in there with no cedar and just let it work for a couple weeks. One thing I like about the plastic is it doesn't get finicky on humidity, as long as your temp stays stable. I ran mine on 2 bovedas for like 2 years, mind you it was only a little 40 count and all the cigars added to it were at walk in humi rh.
    If you plan on using it as more of a stationary unit, I'm sure there's someone that can make a fitted insert with trays and such. I know a company called ammodors retro fits almost any container into a humi. It's pricey but their work is second to none
    Something that big is going to suck for a mobile unit. Isolating your cigars against movement and thus damage is almost impossible without specialty foam layers, and the size gets to be annoying real fast. 
  • BlueB3BlueB3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    It's nor a mobile unit, more of a backup storage device. I like the idea of the separators, so I can keep some semblance of order. I'll check out Ammodors and see if they have anything.  It hurts my brain to see a large humidor with sticks just thrown in.
    edited July 2018
    Looks like I can easily fit 4 of these in there https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-Adjustable-Importers/dp/B00B9234HE/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1430601966&sr=8-1&vs=1, going to order a couple and see how it works out.  Nice thing about having bunches of extras to mess around with :smiley: Might scrap this whole thing and build out one of the green ones instead, the top lid on those is empty, and might be able to make an insert for boveda packs, and gauges.

Humidity rises. The bovedas are more effective at absorbing while above and dispersing while below
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can probably sell them to @bert873 this month at a huge profit.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 of the briefcase size Pelicans.  I put 3 large Bovedas in each and they are lasting 6+ months before I recharge them.  They have been working great for almost 2 years now.  I wouldn't mind finding a way to segregate instead of having them loose also. 

There is a thread on here somewhere with photos.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just a quick note on using empty boxes from your local B&M for use in coolidors etc. Be sure they are not saturated with stale cigar smoke. If the B&M stacks their empty boxes in the smoking area you may end up with some odors that are less than ideal. And sometimes these odors are not easily detectable until you seal them up in your makeshift humidor. True story.   
    It's currently sealed up with baking soda inside, going to let it sit for a week, then on to seasoning, and finally storing  So probably not going to be using it till August