Home Non Cigar Related

Freeze dried meals

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any suggestions on which brands are any good?
When I go play with my rock truck up in the mountains I usually bring some food along to cook. It can be a pain keeping it cold for three days in the summertime with no way to get more ice. Plus it means bringing two cooler ( 1 food, 1 beer ) 
So I was thinking I'll try something else. The only experience I've had with them were MREs back in the Army, they were alright.....But there has to be something better tasting out there.
Boiling water is easy and the clean up would be simple.      

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Mountain house, backpackers pantry, augason are ones I've tried. I prefer the stuff with pasta although the ones with rice come in a close second. When using the ones with rice, use 20 to 25 percent less water than directed and you don't end up with an overly hydrated rice soup

I actually keep a half dozen of them, a micro stove, fuel can, small stainless canteen cup and some bottled water on my truck for those really crappy long days or when I get stuck for a couple hours

Mountain house leads my preferences for "homestyle" and breakfast. Their biscuits and gravy and breakfast skillet are my favorites. Augason has the best portion/price ratio. And backpackers pantry has the most "ethnically diverse" options.

Also if you go this route, I highly suggest a long handled spoon. It allows you to eat straight from the bag without getting mess up to your wrist.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not freeze dried, but our supermarket has no refrigeration necessary packages of various Thai dishes, ready to heat. Then there are Ramen noodles, cheap and filling. Can 'o beans?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second mountain house.  Some damn good stuff, as far as freeze dried goes.  I have spent many weeks at a time in the middle of nowhere loving these.  Beats the hell out of ramen soup and cliff bars for a week (done this too, it was bad).
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third Mountain House. We have 60 days worth stashed in our pantry.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to check them out later today. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mountainhouse - beef stew = excellent.
    Backpacker's Pantry - Louisiana red beans and rice = my favorite ever.

I like to tote along some bacon Spam and fry that up and add to the beans and rice. Not long after, food coma takes me, it's glorious.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Of all that I've tried, the backpackers pantry shepherds pie was nauseatingly over seasoned but every other variety was without fail underseasoned. Make sure to take your hot sauce and some of the other basics. I like the coghlans brand multi spice shaker you can find online or at walmart.

And in relation to the mention of a food coma, some of these come in huge amounts. There's a lot of times I can't finish one and then I double check and realize I just prepared a triple portion. There are some that come in number 10 cans so you could cook for a whole crew real easy too
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a pretty good topic. How are freeze dried as far as salt content. I need to watch my salt but hate cooking just for myself so I eat a lot of packaged stuff. 
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mountain House brand looks to be a little high salt wise  800mg + or -  per pouch (2.5 serving)  
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    This is a pretty good topic. How are freeze dried as far as salt content. I need to watch my salt but hate cooking just for myself so I eat a lot of packaged stuff. 
    Who cooks on the boat Ricky? You can't just swing by 7-11 for the big meat burrito.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Rhamlin said:
    Who cooks on the boat Ricky? You can't just swing by 7-11 for the big meat burrito.
    Once in a while the guys cook up something 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always bring a good thermos (a food thermos would be ideal) and boil water with your preferred method, some rice or pasta, dehydrated vegetables and seasonings, and dried tomato powder. Basically anything you want to reconstitute inside the thermos. Add your ingredients and hot water, cap it off and go fishing for an hour. Dinner will be hot and ready when you get back, only thing to clean is your thermos and a spoon. Salt is to your taste, you're in control. :)

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."