Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Spreading a little Operation Lifesaver

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
As most of you are well aware, I'm a huge train nut. Having been an avid photographer and railroad employee most of my life I've seen many close calls and a handful of unfortunate accidents.

Operation Lifesaver is the largest rail safety organization in the country and was founded by the Union Pacific Railroad in the 1970s to educate the public on how important it is to respect trains. They hold hundreds of seminars each year throughout the US in schools, doing their best to forewarn youngsters to the dangers of trespassing on the railroad. 

Yesterday a woman in her 30's decided to venture trackside to take a photo/video of Union Pacific's flagship steam locomotive #844 as it transported more than 700 happy passengers from the annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Fair back to Denver, CO. She failed to remain clear of the oncoming train (which was doing 45mph+) and was killed instantly on impact. There is a drone video posted on youtube if you would like to see for yourself, but I think it unwise to hyperlink here as some may find it offensive.

Please, please, please take the time to teach your children and loved ones the dangers of being in the vicinity of trains. Railroads are not playgrounds and are very unforgiving to those who have the misfortune of being uneducated to their dangers. While we are welcoming of guests in the appropriate places, trespassing cannot be tolerated. Something as simple as taking a photo does not have to become a tragedy for countless people.
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has lost a loved one in a train accident I totally agree with this. Train's always win, be safe and give the train the benefit in all aspects.
    Thank you for your thoughts on this matter 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnyB said:
    As someone who has lost a loved one in a train accident I totally agree with this. Train's always win, be safe and give the train the benefit in all aspects.
    Thank you for your thoughts on this matter 
    Johnny, so sorry to hear of your loss. If posts like this can possibly save even one life it's worth it.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder
    I worked several railheads when in the Army. Trains can haul enormous amounts of cargo, but are very unforgiving of mistakes 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5