Home General Discussion

Best RH for aging.......search isn’t working

TheBeardedOne864TheBeardedOne864 Posts: 180 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys I’m making another coolerdor for aging what RH do you like for this. I currently keep everything between 64- 67 rh.  I  tried to search this but it isn’t working.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some will say I'm wrong, but it's the same for aging as for smoking. 

People tend to get way too **** about humidity levels; there's a broad range that's acceptable.  "I like mine at 63% and they smoke way better at 63% than they do at 66%."  Give me a break.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65/65 is personally what I use for aging. If you really want to get technical there's a guy out there who's done extensive research on first, second, and third maturation of aging. It's interesting if you're into the technical side. I'll send you a few links tonight when I get home.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • TheBeardedOne864TheBeardedOne864 Posts: 180 ✭✭✭✭
    So 65% bovedas  and good to go
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question always remains, "Can you notice a difference?"  

I see it all the time in the coffee world - @Yakster can tell you better than me - people get so geeked out and **** about the minutest detail and the try to impress others with this 'new finding', but they've only convinced themselves the 'new way of doing it' is better.

I understand the desire to correct in aging cigars, as nobody wants to open a box after it sitting for x number of years only to find out they did it wrong.

My dad always said 'It's a free country' so we are free to age cigars according to our personal wisdom.  I still say if you like to smoke sticks at 65% you may as well age them there too. 

Let's say someone likes the aging RH different from the smoking RH...  you're going to tell me that before they smoke any of the aged sticks they're going to let them sit for another month at the smoking RH so they're better for smoking?  Pssshhhh...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^65% and done. Works great for me, I’m in a very humid climate 69%+ will not work for me, cigars don’t burn right for me here.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • TheBeardedOne864TheBeardedOne864 Posts: 180 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many variables in the process that it is a crap shoot IMO, who knows who's right. Temp is another factor. Some say 65, others will say colder. 65/65 works for me. 

Is there a taste difference? Depends on the cigar. Personally a Cohiba Robusto with 5 years on it smokes and taste better than a young one. However I can say the opposite on others. I have many ranging from 5 years up to 25 years on some of them. The oldest ones I never smoked fresh so it is hard to compare and I wouldn't remember anyways if I did. 

I have a box of 2005 Trinidad Fundarores which IMO blow away any freshie ones and the freshies are not bad at all either.

I am going to crack open a 2009 50 cab of Saint Luis Rey DC's when I get home finally and see how they smoke. Finding a cab of freshies is nearly impossible these days it seems. However I have smoked about 20 of them with up to 2 years on them and they have all been fabulous. I am going to be one p'd off person if these taste like crap lol.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about it. Start out at a desired point, sample and adjust if needed. The key is patience and if your lucky you will be rewarded. Don't be surprised though when you go to smoke one with 2-3 years on it and it taste like paper. 

No matter what I have done in the process I have still haven't found the cigar that taste like leather, nuts, hay, slices of orange, vanilla and the sweat of the rollers hand yet like so many do in their reviews. But I sure as hell have enjoyed about 95% of what I have smoked.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had burn issues at 70% so went to 65% and they seem to be a lot lest frequent.  Is there a taste difference, I cant really say, just in my environment the 65% seems to be about right.  

I have heard for long term aging a lower rh is actually preferred.  I have no proof to back that up but it is just what I remember reading in some way too technical article one time.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am with peter, as many here know I don't even have a functioning hygrometer in my house.  When my boveda's get crunchy recharge, easy enough.  I don't have very many burn/draw problems (user error for sure when I do) so why sweat the little things. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread,

Question: What about this ****?

Answer: 

Image result for **** that

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just throwing this out there -consistency is more important than the golden coupling of temperature and humidity (within reason). Another way of saying it, maintaining an acceptable temperature and humidity for aging is going to affect the outcome far more than your chosen "perfect sweet spot".

Anywhere between 60-73 for both, you're probably set. But, jump from one extreme side to the next day by day and way lower or way higher, you can see how you may get aging problems. Hence, the more consistent you keep your cigars, the better. Some folks live in dryer climates, others in very tropical regions, and the lucky few in between somewhere can keep their cigars out in the living room on the coffee table in the open.

And retro-hale if you can't pick up the flavors and notes.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."