Home Non Cigar Related

Camp monsoon

Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
Threw together a hastily planned camp trip this weekend. Took a party of 6 to Enders reservoir for some tenting, swimming and fishing. Sister and her boyfriend, mother and brother in law, @BlueUnicornTrainer and myself. Last minute weather check showed 80 percent chance of rain both nights but the days would be sunny and 70 so we proceeded. First night we got about a quarter inch at 5 in the morning and I thought if that was our 80 percent, we will be fine. Got up and made biscuits and eggs. When everyone had their fill, we went to the water and splashed around a little and reeled in some weeds. Came back to camp and made some foil packet chicken with potatoes, onions and jalapeno. It started sprinkling about dark that night so we all took shelter in the tent thinking we could play cards for 30 minutes and then go roast marshmallows. Boy were we wrong. The deluge started and soaked the ground well. Once it was soft, the wind came and started pushing the tent around hard enough to pull up stakes. I went out and started tying things down best I could and it stayed down but now we had a river running through camp. 2.7 inches in 2 hours. It was a wild trip

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did also manage to get a smoke in too. I brought two calaveras. Had one myself and one went to sister's boyfriend.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of water, good times, not fun at the moment but stories you will tell for years
    A little dirt never hurt
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the name of the campground ends in Marriott Hotel, wife doesn’t want to know sh t! And I’m ok with that!
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate getting wet while camping.
    cbuck said:
    Unless the name of the campground ends in Marriott Hotel, wife doesn’t want to know sh t! And I’m ok with that!
    I don't mind the Marriott, but I like my own cooking better. We slept on air mattresses because I had a gaggle of tenderfeet along. Couldn't get too Spartan or everyone would have bailed on me. My brother in law weathered the storm in the hammock and he stayed the driest of all of us. I'll definitely put more attention on the weather next time but if I can handle this and my negative 24 January camp, I think I can pull off most weather I'll see from now on. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The closest I get to camping is sleeping in a tent trailer or a canvas tent cabin.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    ForMud said:
    I hate getting wet at any time unless it's my idea, like swimming or showering. But it was one of those strange storms where the rain was 70 degrees. So it was slightly more tolerable. 
    Yakster said:
    The closest I get to camping is sleeping in a tent trailer or a canvas tent cabin.
    Is that by choice or necessity?
    I've using a Cot-tent for a couple of years. Takes less than a minute to put up or take down. Petty comfortable too.  
    I've using a Cot-tent for a couple of years. Takes less than a minute to put up or take down. Petty comfortable too.  
    I think getting off the ground any way you can is a winning strategy
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think getting off the ground any way you can is a winning strategy
    'You can take a trip without leaving the farm' 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warm rain is tolorable but makes cleaning the camping gear when you return a chore. 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

By 9 the next morning it was 70 and sunny again so I just pulled stakes and tipped the tent to dry the bottom and brushed the dry sand off. I cleaned everything else in camp as we were packing up. 6 sets of hands makes pretty short work of it once everyone is assigned a task they can do well. All I have to worry about is disposable item restock. When I go alone I hardly use any disposable items but I don't have enough for a group this big and they burned through all my paper and plastic stash
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great time brother! I’ve been getting rained on almost every ride, especially the long memorial rides and charity rides I’ve been going on lately, and have gotten used to the rain as of late. A little rain never hurt nobody and it looks like it was still a great time :) Amanda and I want to start taking Cael on his first camping trips next year, would love for you and your better half to join us!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    ForMud said:
    I hate getting wet at any time unless it's my idea, like swimming or showering. But it was one of those strange storms where the rain was 70 degrees. So it was slightly more tolerable. 
    Yakster said:
    Is that by choice or necessity?
    Little of both, bought a pop-up tent trailer and later when I broached the subject of trying tent camping my Wife let me know that was a no go.

Sounds like a great time brother! I’ve been getting rained on almost every ride, especially the long memorial rides and charity rides I’ve been going on lately, and have gotten used to the rain as of late. A little rain never hurt nobody and it looks like it was still a great time :) Amanda and I want to start taking Cael on his first camping trips next year, would love for you and your better half to join us!

Brett
    I'm always down for some dirt time. Let me know. I will start tweaking gear loads to feed and sleep more than two people
    Headed camping on Friday and it’s the wife’s first time. True camping off-roading to get there in the middle of no where. Just forest and river and no cell reception unless you hike up a mountain. Wilderness still exists in CA you just need to know where to find it.

So are you four wheeling in and camping near the vehicle or setting up a base camp and four wheeling from there? Either way it sounds awesome @NorCalR1.
    4 wheeling down old mining trails to get to the spot which is right next to the river. Set up camp them do some wheelin, fishing and hiking. I will post pics for sure

I tried searching but remembered it's not working. Is there a thread for outdoor adventures or activities? If not we should totally have one
    'do you even camp, bro' was the name of the thread IIRC. 
    edited August 2018
    Google Search "site:forum.cigar.com do you even camp, bro"

Do you even camp, Bro? Travel trailer/RV

After reading the whole thread it seems very camper centric with very little else. I don't want to annex it with my posts about hammocks and ground sleeping and other primitive stuff. If no senior members recall a thread like that, maybe I'll start one
    It's been dead for over a year now, and no one will mind if you want to broaden the scope of it.