Home General Discussion

Cigar Bars and Exculsive Status

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
While hitting up the cigar shop, I noticed that as of the 7th of Febuary my shop is now making a person pay five dollars on top of any cigars they purchase to go into the lounge and light up, and that is just a "day" pass. But for 50 bucks a month and 5% off you can go whenever you want. I personally think it's BS and will probably not go back to the shop again. I think it's down right wrong. They already had it so you could only smoke in the lounge if you bought cigars but now another fee or a monthly. For me who goes once and a while and maybe spends an hour or two it's gouging. Anyone else have this sort of crap with their shop? I'm livid about it actually. Seems to me that since I mostly see the same people in there that this new thing will make the shop less money as I can't see the same number of people who go in there will shell out more money just to go sit down.

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I agree completely and wouldn't be going back either. My b&m doesn't have a very good lounge, but hey, it's free to hang there.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    You should calmy go in there and tell them that you will not be frequenting their store for the reasons you have listed above. If enough people say the same thing they will get the message and will drop that crap. When I was in OR I found it rather difficult to find a spot to smoke so I can understand why this pisses you off.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    You should calmy go in there and tell them that you will not be frequenting their store for the reasons you have listed above. If enough people say the same thing they will get the message and will drop that crap. When I was in OR I found it rather difficult to find a spot to smoke so I can understand why this pisses you off.
    i agree with this. when they start to lose business because of it they will change.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Squirrel that is just plain NUTS! The one lounge that we have here in town does expect you to buy something from their very limited selection to smoke there. The exception to that is if you rent out the place for a private party or rent a locker. Then they will pretty much let you smoke whatever you bring. Granted he's had some problems with his ex-business partner and only been open for about a year and a half (probably the reason for sucky selection), but I don't see him charging a fee just to smoke there. Even though I don't like his house blends he seems to being doing pretty good even in Mich. bad economic state. Once the no smoking laws start in May I'm sure he will be plenty busy esp. in the winter. I can see them charging people to smoke there if they don't buy something. In your case that is just bad business IMO. On another note I can't wait until he gets his beer/wine license.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:
    i agree with this. when they start to lose business because of it they will change.

Ditto !
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    There are some realistic points to consider about this topic:

As much as we all love the b&ms that have great selection and an awesome free lounge - I'm fortunate to have pretty much the best b&m in the world - business has changed. Cigars went through the biggest boom in the 90's, and after it topped out it proceeded to crash. Building back up from that this past decade was no mean feat, I'm sure. This is likely why so many shops developed more extensive lounges. Now, however, consumer spending has taken a dramatic shift - it's ALL about the dollar, regardless of external circumstances. "Why buy pay retail for it, when you can get it so much cheaper online?" is the new mentality, especially within the past two years.

Now, I absolutely LOVE Cigar.com, and I am in no way discouraging online sales. I understand it's a market to fulfill, and I'm a capitalist - make that money! But here's the thing: retail b&ms just cannot compete with online pricing! We all know this, though not all may understand why exactly. So how are these shops supposed to make up the difference? The main reason you're there is to use that lounge, for good reason: it's a great place to smoke and hang with fellow BOTLs. So here is another market to fulfill, and a way for these b&ms to make money to pay their bills, so that they can continue to provide this excellent place for me to hang. As much as it sucks to fork out more money, I think we've been spoiled enough to date; if this is what it takes for my shop to continue their business the way they have, I would gladly pay it.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have no B&M within 20 miles so I only rarely visit one. A fee to use the lounge is sounding a little too exclusive for me, LOL. Buying some sticks in the establishment should be enough. JMHO and every merchant needs to make his own policy for his market.
  • i love my b&M. Liquid Smoke, Murfreesboro, TN.

when it first opened it had a walk in humidor in the bar. serves about 200 different beers. live music all the time no cover. this past year, the owner rents the building next door and turned it into a huge walkin humidor and left the bar alone. he still has a few sticks in the bar but i just walk next door to get a stick then go to the bar to smoke it. excellent place.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand a place wanting you to buy one of their sticks to use the lounge. I haven't found any around KC that charges a thing. There are a few you can bring your own stick in if you want. I could see charging to rent it out for an event night or group.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I understand you frustration squirrel. I agree with Kuzi, I'd let the shop know why you won't be coming in anymore, CALMLY.

I have a little different stance than most people though. I'm all for private smoking clubs. However, I believe they should be seperate from the typicaal louge. A place I go to occasionally has a standard lounge in the cigar shop but upstairs they have a full lounge with multiple TVs, pool table, poker table, etc. It also provides free drinks and usually some snacks. I'm all for charging for a place like that.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I understand you frustration squirrel. I agree with Kuzi, I'd let the shop know why you won't be coming in anymore, CALMLY.

I have a little different stance than most people though. I'm all for private smoking clubs. However, I believe they should be seperate from the typicaal louge. A place I go to occasionally has a standard lounge in the cigar shop but upstairs they have a full lounge with multiple TVs, pool table, poker table, etc. It also provides free drinks and usually some snacks. I'm all for charging for a place like that.
    What is the name of this place?! I must check it out when I am in the area next!
    ejenne87:
    madurofan:

What is the name of this place?! I must check it out when I am in the area next!
    Its actually not in this area but up in the mountains of VA. Though as Brandon(bbc) will attest my local hang out isn't too shabby either. Hit me up when you're up here next.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    ejenne87:
    madurofan:

Its actually not in this area but up in the mountains of VA. Though as Brandon(bbc) will attest my local hang out isn't too shabby either. Hit me up when you're up here next.
    Will do! I always love heading up that way. It's such a nice drive, and then I get to VA beach... I hope to make it up there in the near future actualy.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Hey Pheebs, which place is it that is doing this.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The shop I go to is awesome, they have a huge, comfy lounge area with a full bar and if you buy 3 or more sticks, you get a free well drink. On top of that, they regularly have bar-b-ques with no cover and free food.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    alienmisprint:
    The shop I go to is awesome, they have a huge, comfy lounge area with a full bar and if you buy 3 or more sticks, you get a free well drink. On top of that, they regularly have bar-b-ques with no cover and free food.
    Road Trip
    alienmisprint:
    Where the hell is that? Next time I'm in New Orleans, I'll have to grab Scrambler and we're road tripping to whereever this place is.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Hey Pheebs, which place is it that is doing this.
    Maddy, I agree a place like that I can see having a membership. Sounds good. Dennis, cascaded is doing it.
  • My old B&M in Lawrence KS had a sweet lounge that did charge $5 if you wanted to smoke there, but would waive it if you purchased one smoke from them. They would open up their entire place (free lounge, food and booze) to everyone during events. They had an event almost every couple of weeks. I miss that place so badly.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    "mountains of Va. is that code for INVITATION ONLY type stuff?"
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    "mountains of Va. is that code for INVITATION ONLY type stuff?"
    Blue Rigde Mtn. in Va.