Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Tony, Tony, Tony

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Trades, Passes and Bombs
Tony, my friend, you’re something else.   I’m just sitting up north, minding my own business and you destroyed me.  

I don’t know what kind of a man your step father was but I suspect he was an okay guy if he had a hand in raising you.  I am honored that you trusted me with his pipe and I will always think about you and your family when I smoke it.  

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A meer seasoned like that is a beautiful thing.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful Meerschaum. Wouldn't touch it...just the stem if anything. Shows how much it was enjoyed by the owner. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Just curious how much would a pipe like that run? I don’t know anything bout pipes but looks rather pricy.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    edited August 2018
    I see a lot of the head meers going for 150+. Given the shape it's in, I would say closer to 250, but my valuation isn't the same as someone else
    I would agree with Luke. That's easily a $200+ pipe to the right collector. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it clean up yesterday and getting ready to pack it now...but what to smoke?

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    I would reach for a Virginia or burley non aromatic. A pipe as special as that would make me second guess anything that could possibly ghost
    Dunhill Nightcap
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think that Meerschaum would suffer greatly from “ghosting” due to the porous nature of the mineral itself. This is how they darken over time from smoking. But, I have read that Meerschaum pipes are not as susceptible to “ghosting” as briars, and from personal experience I have not had any problems with it. 

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    They may not ghost from an occasional perique or light latakia blend but I bet multiple bowls of the cherry cough syrup aromatics or a lat blend like cornell and diehl pirate kake (claimed to be 75 percent lat) would have it ghosted after a few bowls. I don't have a meer so I can't definitely prove anything, but it would be a concern of mine
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mm., Pirate Kake.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything I have read over the past year  says it won't ghost.  The beauty is you can smoke anything back to back to back and you dont have to worry about ghosting or burning it out.  

That is for the solid block meerschaum.  Some people press meerschaum chips and epoxy into a block, then carve it.  Those are cheap and not worth having.  The bad part is that they are hard to tell apart.  The way yours is coloring it must be a solid block.

I'd really like to have a good meerschaum and find out for myself though.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Some 2005 GH Sliced Black Rope in a lion head meer. 
    edit: sorry, should be in the what's in your pipe thread....
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it made it ok. Was gone for a bit and boxed it up before I left and forgot about it. Had to call home to have someone run it to the post office.

His favorite tobacco was Cavendish. I would sometimes find some Davidoff blends for him, in my travels. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.