Home Cigar 101

What's It Like?

Since I have never smoked a cigar before, and hoping to do so soon, I was wondering what your first experience smoking a cigar was like? Thanks

Comments

• Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I was going to post a Monty Python skit (candid photography) but decided to take it easy on you.

My first was a Swisher Sweet 35 years ago or so after a beer festival.  Not memorable.

There's nuanced flavors in a good cigar that you may not pick up until you develop your palate.  Hard to explain.
    Post edited by Yakster on
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I have never smoked a cigar before, and hoping to do so soon, I was wondering what your first experience smoking a cigar was like? Thanks

Honestly, it depends on the cigar to an extent. If you're here looking for a premium and the reviews are decent as well as the staff recommendation being solid, you're good to go. But, if you are anything like me and you are a PFC in the Army and had WAY TOO MANY beers and enter the gas station with your buddies, grab the BIGGEST damn stogie in the world (we're talking the size of a child's arm) and smoke it on your walk back to the barracks -you might not fare well.

I still remember the gut retching...
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    edited August 2018
    Broseph?

Unleash the Kraken!  Wait for the punchline at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I&t=8s

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only way to find out is to smoke one.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Just remember what happens when you smoke cigars...

0patience said:
    Only way to find out is to smoke one.

User tip, don't smoke the cigar band, remove it first.  The glue starts to melt and it gets easier to remove as the ash burns down toward the band, removing it too early can risk tearing the wrapper.

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another user tip, bigger is not always better and it's not a race. I learned that by powering through the LFD digger in an hour fifteen
    Agreed, and the smaller vitolas can be stronger and more flavorful.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the same male/female from the, "is this right" post.  Thus confirming the troll status. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Just remember what happens when you smoke cigars...

Ya only turn into a jackazz if ya leave the band on lol
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    1. Buy Tatuaje Fausto 

2. Inhale deep; that's what the pros do.

3. Thank me later

D*ckturd status attained. Congrats! 
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It's like being plastered in Zona Norte, but safer, less dangerous, and hopefully cleaner. 
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^ googled that one. Too funny.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^ googled that one. Too funny.
    Me too.....Google image is not your friend on this. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case your questions have been serious and legitimate, let me explain some of the behavior of my cohorts here, assuming we haven't run you off with our weird sense of humor.

As you may have gathered, we get a lot of phony questions by those who like to jerk our chain, trolls seeking amusement at others expense.  

What you've asked is an impossibility.  

1.  You've asked us to describe a rainbow to Helen Keller.  As humorously noted above, the only way to truly answer your question is to experience it for yourself.  Start mild, and slow, and DON'T inhale.  

2.  There is a difference between cellophane and plastic, cellophane breathes.  

3.  Don't overhandle, lick, or deep throat the cigar at the cigar store, unless you're ready to pay for it. 

Hope this helps.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sucks. I hate cigars 😂
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the second best feeling in the world!
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You know when you had a big meal and you have to take a dump real bad, so you race home and jump on the pot and "squirt, explosion, squirt"? It's like the feeling right after that. Super relaxing. "Aaahhhhggggg"  B) That's what a good cigar is like.

A bad one is the same scenario except it's 100 degrees, you're in a smelly port o potty, you're sweating, your hemorrhoids are burning, and you realize there is no more toilet paper. "Arrrrrrggghhh!!!!" >:) That is what a bad cigar is like.