Home Ratings & Reviews

Construction Problems

I’m a big fan of My Father cigars. Recently I got my hands on the La Gran Oferta in lancero and toro. I can tell there is flavor there, but the the lancero had a hard area in it that wouldn’t burn or draw correctly with a hollow spot next to it. I finally cut it out with a cutter. The toro had a really tight draw and some burn issues, the burn was even but it smoke like it was smoldering, finally I ended up with amonia flavors of fermentation. I’ve had similar problems with some tatuajes. I’m getting frustrated. Anybody but me had such luck?
Tagged:

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing I despise more than a tight draw!  Yesterday I pitched 2 sticks before finding one that was good, and it got me hot under the collar that the one cigar, in essence, cost me $20.  For me though, it hasn't bee brand-related.

Your problems may be weather-related if it's muggy where you are, like a cigar with marginal construction will be barely adequate in drier months, but suck when smoked in the summer.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    There's nothing I despise more than a tight draw!  Yesterday I pitched 2 sticks before finding one that was good, and it got me hot under the collar that the one cigar, in essence, cost me $20.  For me though, it hasn't bee brand-related.

Your problems may be weather-related if it's muggy where you are, like a cigar with marginal construction will be barely adequate in drier months, but suck when smoked in the summer.
    ....and The Bums in MiLwiKee be Smile'N in the alley...just say'N.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could have just needed a little more rest.  As stated cigars can be picky.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens. Haven't had the Gran Oferta yet but I've had dozens of the original My Fathers with very few, if any construction issues. Don't give up on the brand just yet. Maybe dry box these in the future. A little age will help as well.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Charlie, age can help as can dry boxing for a while before smoking. Occasionally a draw poker will actually help a plugged one too. I’d rather have a draw that’s too open than too closed personally. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • BlueB3BlueB3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Had a Rocky Patel Sun Grown Lancero the other day that had a super tight draw, but made up for it with amazing flavor!