Home Non Cigar Related

Venezuela

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
My other Lucy teaches ESL (English as a Second Language) here at a small community college. She had a man in her class last night who is from Venezuela. The man is currently working a weedeater for a landscaping contractor. The guy has two masters degrees and owned a candle factory back in Venezuela. The government took over his factory and when he went to court the government threw him in jail. His wife, two children, a sister and two brothers all had to flee and are scattered through central and South America. His visa runs out in Oct. If he goes back it's back to prison for him.
I know we have had a back and forth about Nicaragua and the problems there that seem to be spreading. Maybe we should stock up on stogies?

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venezuela has been bad off for a few years now. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if the big oil tycoons and CIA could smoke some cigars and chill for a decade or so.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as there is money and people to exploit it will be done. Doesn’t make it any less reprehensible but it will still occur. Sad to see it going on 😓
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard some pretty horrific stories from some of my south of the border customers.....Drugs, money, corruption lead to bad things.