Home Non Cigar Related

Most overrated cuisine

2»

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Chipotle, is horrible and anything bobby flay makes/endorses.
    Agree to Chipotle.  No to Bobby.  He can be hit or miss like any chef.  Personal taste and all.  But he has some good moments, though I've never been to any of his restaurants.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Olive Garden. F#%king horrible 
    IDK anyone who thinks they're good, but they give you what you expect.  And they have a couple things I'll order if the family or friends force me there.  Braised beef tortelloni.  Steak gorgonzola alfredo.  Each is good enough to keep me happy when my wife insists on soup and salad when the deal is going.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that most people are strong-armed into going to Olive Garden by someone who just wants the soup or salad.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I think that most people are strong-armed into going to Olive Garden by someone who just wants the soup or salad.
    haha this is the truth! The only time I go there is when my department at work chooses to go there..
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Indian food
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't seem to focus on "cuisine". 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Indian food

Had some great chicken tandoori pizza the other day.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olive Garden. F#%king horrible 
    Haven't been to one in over 10 years. Doesn’t help the closest one to me was on the news for “Slime In The Ice Machine” about a month ago...
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Military combat rations. I'm sure some of the younger vets can chime in on MRE's but I'm talking about C-RATS. Way back in 1967 I was eating c-rats that were produced in the 50's for the Korean War. In a case there was 12 different meals. We were getting 2 a day and after 6 days you've had them all. I ate them for eight and a half months straight only had hot chow twice during that time.Humping a 50 pound pack meant you could only carry 3-4 c-rat meals because of the weight. If you had a home sent bottle of hot sauce it was a treasure. The rats came in cans, were heavy, and tasted like Sh===. In fact one meal, Ham & Lima beans was nick named Ham and Mother F------s.  Even after heating them with a little ball of C-4 they were bad. Sometimes we would run out of rats on a operation. After no food for a couple of days the rats were more appealing as they say "Appetite Makes the Best Sauce" 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Geez O’ Pete’s Rodger, I honestly can’t even begin to comprehend how brutal that was and how much you went through during those times. I want to thank you again for your service and for enduring things like this. 

That said i really did enjoy the description and story and I can’t even say how nasty military rationed Lima beans sounds, the nickname I am sure didn’t scratch the surface at all hahaha. im trying to wrap my head around using C4 to heat up the rations, how’d you get it to heat/burn and not just explode and blow the can to smithereens? Is it flammable and will just burn and smolder with a flame put to it and won’t explode or what?

thanks again,
    Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was serving during the time they were switching from c-rats to MRE's. I liked the C better. I'm sure the MRE's got better over time, but they were pretty tasteless.
    I remember while on a training exercise, we found a old rusty C can that was buried for who knows how long....We opened it, it was fruit cake and it was still eatable.
    To this day I still carry my P38 on a my key chain.      
    Thanks for your service @ForMud
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I like hotdogs
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    . im trying to wrap my head around using C4 to heat up the rations, how’d you get it to heat/burn and not just explode and blow the can to smithereens? Is it flammable and will just burn and smolder with a flame put to it and won’t explode or what?

thanks again,
    Brett
    Brett we carried 2lb sticks of C-4. if we didn't have that we would pull apart a claymore mine to get C-4 . All you had to do was roll up a little ball about the diameter of a dime and set it a stove made from a small C-rat can. Touch a match. to it and you would have a really hot fire for about 45 seconds. Matches, cigarets, coffee, cream, sugar,and toilet paper were packed with every C-rat. 
    . im trying to wrap my head around using C4 to heat up the rations, how’d you get it to heat/burn and not just explode and blow the can to smithereens? Is it flammable and will just burn and smolder with a flame put to it and won’t explode or what?

thanks again,
    Brett
    Brett we carried 2lb sticks of C-4. if we didn't have that we would pull apart a claymore mine to get C-4 . All you had to do was roll up a little ball about the diameter of a dime and set it a stove made from a small C-rat can. Touch a match. to it and you would have a really hot fire for about 45 seconds. Matches, cigarets, coffee, cream, sugar,and toilet paper were packed with every C-rat. 
    Very very cool, thanks for letting me know as I had no idea. I’m such a simpleton when it comes to things like that, that I had no idea it would burn and not simply go kaboom. As for what you and everyone always picked with it I’m not surprised and it makes complete sense, especially the TP. I imagine wiping your backside with vegetation would suck after about the first time. Thanks for the info and the stories, I really enjoy hearing it!

Brett
    I learned how to use the TP that comes in C-Rations in Boy Scouts, IIRC.  I wish I could unlearn that one.

Tacos are good too
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tacos are good too
    ...and broccoli too?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Broccoli is the devils Hedge
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outback— just plain sucks