Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

He Wants Me In A Better Mood, He Says...

peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Trades, Passes and Bombs
Well, this ain't how you do it young man!

A nicer grouping of cigars, you'll never see!  And a coaster w/ a photo taken by none other than our beloved @Usaf06.

So here's the deal...

When I got back from the trip to San Antonio to hang w/ Steve and Nick, I was just bushed and figured the 100+ degree days took it out of me.  But I stayed tired.  The last two times I mowed my lawn I had to stop halfway through and rest - last year I was doing mine and my next-door neighbor's and felt great.  So I don't know if I'm just getting old, but I think it's more than that because I don't think you get old that quickly.  It could be the smoking, or being way more unfit that I thought, or a combination of the three.  And to top it off, when I do something physical like a bike ride or mow the lawn, I get this burning sensation in my upper lungs/windpipe.  

So I should probably go see my doctor.  Before I do that, I've been cutting back on cigars; a normal day was averaging three sticks, sometimes only two, sometimes four.  I'm going to go down to just one, and if that doesn't help, I'll try going to just one or two over the weekend.  I've read that the burning lung thing can be from an out-of-shape person doing too much too fast, so like Stubble told me, I should start walking/riding at a very light level and very slowly build up.

That means according to my latest calculations, I have 19 years worth of inventory.  So don't nobody send me any more stinkin' cigars, dadgummit!  I mean it.  The next person to bomb me is going to get 3X as many in return; unless you're a douche bag and I don't want to send you sticks; in that case, I'm just going to give your bomb to CFW.
"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I'm in a better mood knowing that the bully got a taste of his own medicine.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set of sticks enjoy Peter :)

That said I’m very sorry to hear about how you’ve been feeling and what’s going on. I sincerely hope that your changes and new routine really make an impact and help, be well and feel better my friend. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing you on the Fitness Thread! 😎 Seriously though the symptoms you describe don’t sound particularly fun nor to take lightly. I’m no doctor but as you mentioned seeing one soon is a wise choice.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy my friend. 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nicely done Larry!
    My father told me a long time ago, when you encounter a bully to hit first and hit hard! Looks like you had the same lesson.  :)
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get yo aZZ to the Doctor...be a Big Boy and go see your MD.  
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One can pick up all kinds of germs one's immune system isn't familiar with when one travels. Could be something other than the stogies you smoke. I had a lung infection last spring that took me out for weeks, bad enough that I actually went to the doctor who put me on (shudder, nasty stuff) Cipro -- read the side effects before agreeing to take that stuff: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/cipro-side-effects.html 

Anyway, hope you feel better, but if you don't, get it checked out.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!!@ Please go see a doctor ya daggum bully. 

As for bombing the next one of us that bombs you X3, I call. Let's organize a Peter Bomb pass.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real men go to the doctor when they don't feel right. 
    Yeah, but...  since we know what they'll say - lose 20lbs., exercise more, and eat better, blah, blah, blah - and we know we won't do it, going to the doctor is a waste of time.  But I'll make an appointment anyway, just for youse guys.

As for the bombs, I have three words; Cigars For Warriors.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't been to the doctor in 50 years until I contracted a life-threatening co-infection of Lyme disease and babesiosis. Since then, every time I go the doctor orders $1,000 worth of tests and then finds something else wrong with me even though I feel fine. 
    ForMud said:
    Besides he will probably tell you to get a colonoscopy since your over 50....And that will cause much joy on here.  
    Already have three under my belt, so to speak...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I experienced a burning sensation in my upper chest and thought it was heartburn it turned out to be a heart attack. 

The second time it was esophageal cancer. Go see your doctor. NEED I SAY MORE??
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    ForMud said:
    Besides he will probably tell you to get a colonoscopy since your over 50....And that will cause much joy on here.  
    Already have three under my belt, so to speak...
    How is it that I’m only 30 and have already have the same number of those terrible procedures as you?! F’ed up I tell ya. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go see that Dr son!!!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to ya.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best!
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get 'er done brother. Hoping for good news i.e. not cigar related.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    So I called for an appt on Mon, as promised.  There was a cancellation on Tues so they scheduled me to 10am.  The visit w/ my doc went as expected - the usual physical and bloodwork - and they scheduled me for an appt with a cardiologist.  Two years ago this Sat. I had an angiogram (the camera on a snake, up through an artery in your thigh), which showed clear arteries except for 50% blockage on the main anterior descending artery, and they told me they don't do anything, like a balloon or stent, until it's over 75% blocked.  So because of that history, the next step is to see a new cardiologist - the last one retired.  That other guy was the old doc that I thought would give me a straight answer if I asked about cigars - never offer up any information is the lesson I learned; now they have me down as a smoker since they don't make the distinction between cigars and cigarettes.

So this morning my PCP called with the results from the lab - it all looks fine, but my cholesterol is high; the ratio of good to bad is OK, but the bad cholesterol is too high.  He suggested I get on a statin over a year ago, and I balked, and now he's getting a bit more insistent.  It sounded like he wanted to send a script to a pharmacy and have me pick it up right away, but I have a follow-up w/ him in a couple weeks so we're going to duke it out some more then.  The cardiologist appt is two days before I see him again, so I think they're going to double team me.

The whole statin thing has got my undies in a bundle.  For years, I've had a deep-seated skepticism of the average doctor in the sense that the pharmaceutical industry has their fangs sunk pretty deep in them; they find a drug that will do X, so they set up some monkied medical trials, convince everybody that Y will happen if we don't control X at some lower levels, and the average doc buys into it (whether or not there are the really swanky kickbacks, I don't know).  All I know is that when you follow the money, in any area, there's usually some hocus-pocus and corruption.

And it's forcing me to really look at whether my skepticism is grounded in anything that remotely resembles the truth, or if I'm just being bullheaded (good chance, right?)  I've always contended that prescription meds, while doing what they're supposed to, generally have some drawbacks too.  I've read some rotten side effects of statins on the internet, but who's to say what you can or can't believe out there.  I've seen how many old people live on a bunch of different meds, one for this and one for that etc, and I don't want to turn into one of them.  I did cave on starting a blood pressure medication and a low-dose aspirin, however.  But I see the drawbacks on those much less than with a statin.

Any thoughts, especially regarding statins and the overall danger of cholesterol in the 240 range?
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Six months ago my cholesterol was 300 and she wanted to ether put me on some kind of medication or let me try and change my diet ....I'll find out Friday if the diet worked. 
    I'm skeptical of any kind of medication a doctor is trying to push on me. I read somewhere they receive 10% of the cost as payment from the drug companies that make it.
    It's hard finding a doctor you trust, I've been seeing a nurse practitioner for about four years and I really trust/like her.