Home Non Cigar Related

STS

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Non Cigar Related
Someone please tell me the advantage of stainless steel appliances over non stainless steel.
Other then they cost a lot more and are a pain in the arse to keep clean. 
Yes, we are having a "discussion" about this. I want to buy cigars and she wants STS.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm biased as hell on this one. Buy cigars. I've had stainless off and on through the years. I don't see an advantage to stainless except that every realtor on earth brags about it in their listings. (But then again they'd brag on an outhouse if they thought it would make the house sound desirably "rustic".) I like the looks of stainless, a lot, but no other advantage in my opinion. Oh yeah, I remember splatters near the bottom. If there is any splatter from mopping with certain floor products, you'll get mop-n-glow spatters that require some attention.   
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stainless won't rot out. 
    That is the only advantage.
    As for cleaning, my wife loves her stainless appliances at work, but refuses to have them at home, because of the cleaning. 
    She has one that is polished stainless and that one, she loves. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vinegar always worked well for me. Maybe I just don’t understand the problem......  
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's purely aesthetics, the guts are still made to die right after warranty.  

Eggs Ackley. Stainless only became a thing long after stainless could have made a diff cause your made in USA appliance would have lasted long enough for stainless to make a diff. Back when they lasted until you passed 'em on the to newlyweds, porcelain was good enough. 

Here is the deal, tho, JD: aesthetics count. No gal wants to brag to her sister how you just bought her a brand new painted fridge. That's declasse'. It's not enough to keep food cool; you have to be cool too.

So Patrick is right, but irrelevant. 

The skirmishes of marriage are won by many tactical retreats.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get it. But I can't smoke a dishwasher.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And she can't properly wash dishes with cigars.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be the majority or I may be the minority’s, I really don’t care. I will always choose to make my wife happy over buying more cigars. My wife brings me more happiness than any cigar, but it goes both ways. She knows cigars and motorcycles makes me happy so she buys me them too. Balance is the key here, each should be working to make each happy with whatever that is. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife agreed with Patrick, she said it's aesthetics. Stainless goes with granite. So you can budget for new counter tops as well.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, why is STS the abbreviation for stainless steel?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess because plain old SS comes with some pretty negative connotations
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Sport?  ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Sport?  ;)
    Sally Suthers. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Sport?  ;)
    Yeah that sounds good. Let's go with that
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^ yes, love this post.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I shoulda known better than to ask, 'cuz now it sounds like I don't wanna know.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my world 'ss' stands for .925, sterling silver; I'm good with 'sts' for stainless steel.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the title I thought it was a question about STDs.........
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was about a Cadillac

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.