Home General Discussion

Bad cigars, help I'm puzzled!

Big_Red91Big_Red91 Posts: 4
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
Hello everyone, Ive been a cigar smoker for a few years and a few of my favorite flavored cigars have been kuba maduros and Drew estates Java line. I recently purchased a sampler pack of each that was on sale from an online retailer, let them sit in the humidor for a week, tonight I lit up the Java latte only to taste a literal vomit taste from this great cigar, I tried a few others and every cigar in my humidor seems to have become tainted by these javas, I've never experienced anything like this, does anyone have a clue as to why this may have happened?! I had to throw out about $250 in cigars due to this.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they are infused/flavor cigars.
    As they sit, they will lose the infused flavor.
    Flavored cigars are not meant to be aged. 
    And infused cigars in a humidor is asking for all of them to taste the same.

I equate it to throwing perfume on a cigar and hoping it comes out good.
    There is only one flavored cigar (Moontrance) I will smoke and mostly cause my wife likes the smell and it isn't horrid.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Big_Red91Big_Red91 Posts: 4
    Well that's the thing, I have 2 humidors, one for flavored cigars and one for traditional, and ive always mixed my acids for years and never had this happen till I bought this sampler, but I have no clue how a cigar that smells fairly normal can taste like literal vomit and taint the flavors of all my cigars in that humidor with that putrid taste in one week, everything tasted fine before adding them.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the humidor itself. A small amount of mold can affect the flavor of a cigar.

Try pulling all of the cigars out and inspecting for mold or other problems. 
    I checked but my favored cigar humidor is acrylic  with a 69% boveda pack, everything seems fine to me, I'm just wondering if cigars can be stored so long so improperly before shipping that it can ruin them. They all smelled fine but tasted disgusting. In all my years of smoking I've never heard of cigars tasting like vomit lol so I'm just confused.
    Maybe one had mold and you didn't notice.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's awful, as to why I have no clue. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This does seem strange. Are you on any new medications or vitamin/herbal supplements or any new diet changes or a cold or sinus infection? Many things can affect one's sense of taste. I'm looking in other directions because I've never heard of infused cigars severely tainting other cigars to such a extreme degree. 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are your normal cigars tasting this way? If they are, it will sound like a joke but it’s not. Maybe see if you have any other hepatitis symptoms, one of the signs is an aversion to smoking. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance those cigars got wet?  Even just damp?  If so, they could have started to ferment.  Just a thought.

The only cigar I ever had that tasted the way you're describing was SWAG, but they just tasted that way.  Took two days to get that funk off my taste buds.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I tossed out most of my cigars, stopped today and bought a fresh box from a local shop and they tasted fine, I was also wondering if my pallete was to blame but these taste fine, I was told I could send what's left of sampler back for a refund and so they can try and see what happened with these, it's so strange the Java mint stick itsself smelled amazing  as always and 2 puffs in it tasted like vomit, I even let it die and smelled it again today, still smelled fantastic, it was just the actual flavor of the smoke that was rank.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Did you got them from that place that can't be named that starts with a T?  If so there is your answer.  Also no offence but why would you throw away "most" of your cigars?  The bad ones should not have transferred that horrid flavor to the rest of your humidor that fast.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    (Not PC alert, do not read full sentence if you require safe zones or companion pets).  This question did not seem to be full r e t a r d level of troll to me. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CigarcrazyCigarcrazy Posts: 4
    Putting cigars in the freezer has always worked for me, the freshness stayed in and the taste was still there, they don't really freeze but they did still have the same flavor.
    Those white owls can sometimes be inconsistent.
     :s 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • GlassjoeGlassjoe Posts: 25
    have a friend to try one to confirm the bad flavor . then give them to your local  a#^#^$&*$&@&.
    'I think,' said Christopher Robin, 'that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.'